This fairy woman of Ireland, set in history to be forthwith.
Messenger of death, is part of our folklore and myth
There are many tales of her sorrowful sound and sad cry
The wailing lament of the Banshee sigh
While she waits, she combs her long straight hair,
Warning the kin of their advancing despair.
She follows the names of a certain clan.
And prepares them first, as this is part of the plan.
If violent a death, her cloak of scarlet shall you see,
If a child, her appearance is sharp, but wee.
More will join in lamenting, if a holy person of esteem,
Chorus choir of banshees fill the air with pitiful screams.
Sometimes a carriage of death you may see,
It’s headless coach - dismal as can be.
You look in dread and fear as someone beckons you near.
It’s the Banshee herself with her long, straight hair.
That wailing lament of the Banshee sigh,
How sad and mournful is that screeching cry,
In the depth of darkness when all is quit
As a soul leaves human coil and takes flight.
mai venn's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Comments about this poem (Banshee by mai venn )
- Two Cats, Harold R Hunt Sr
- The Shrunken Head, Ronald Peat
- SHE - a love poem, Thomas Kay
- Upon Me, Edward Kofi Louis
- Global Pie-in-the-sky, stephen ifill
- Fifty Percent, Tom Higgins
- Yamine, Edward Kofi Louis
- I want eyes, Nassy Fesharaki
- One More For The Road., Tom Higgins
- We don't accept anything anytime...., MOHAMMAD SKATI
Poem of the Day
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Nothing Gold Can Stay, Robert Frost
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- The Raven, Edgar Allan Poe
- A Dream Within A Dream, Edgar Allan Poe
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
- Heather Burns
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)