'O LITTLE shepherdesses fresh and fair,
Say whither do you come so soft and rare?
Say, whither lies the land where you were born,
Where sweeter fruits than any do betide?
With radiant smiles your faces you adorn,
Yet neither gold nor silver is your pride,
I trow Love fashioned you with him to bide,
Angels you seem yet tattered raiment wear! '
'We live upon a hill beside some trees;
Humble our cot, we sleep in tiny bed
Both one and all together at our ease
When homewards we our gentle flocks have led
At eventide; by nature we are fed
Day after day in flowery meadows fair.'
95 'Your loveliness might well indeed make moan,
Which only among hills and vales is seen,
Though the proud cities of the world would own
It worthy to hold honourably, I ween!
Poor lassies, had you not far happier been
Out of these woods in more refinèd air? '
'Nay, we are well contented with our fate,
And, when we tend our flocks in pastures bright,
Merrier we are than you who go in state
To revel in your chamber shuttered tight;
Riches we do not crave nor gold delight,
But weave gay songs and garlands for our hair! '
O Ballad, were I now as long ago,
I'd be a shepherd lad upon a hill;
I'd mark these lassies' goings, but none should know;
I'd seek their company with a right good will;
For ever we'd be calling 'Jack' and 'Jill,'
And wheresoe'er they went I'd follow there.
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Ballata by Franco Sacchetti )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(03 April 1964)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(22 March 1941 -)
(18 November 1939)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
- Happy Birthday stranger, ice johnson
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Taking Off Emily Dickinson's Clothes, Billy Collins
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Autumn, Alexander Sergeyevich Pushkin
Poem of the Day
- Petits morceaux, Lubinda Lubinda
- For Edgar Allan Poe With All Gratitude..., Frank James Ryan Jr...FjR
- It Takes Tears to..., Rodney R. Cooper
- It Takes Tears, Rodney R. Cooper
- My life, Mario,Lucien,Rene Odekerken
- Don't leave me cozied-up homely, Mark Heathcote
- If You Were Here Today, Serena Blackinton
- Uncle Trevor's Solution, rohan bendre
- Trapped Inside, Pamela Carroll
- Two Green Points: Art Print by Wassily K.., Frank Avon