'O LITTLE shepherdesses fresh and fair,
Say whither do you come so soft and rare?
Say, whither lies the land where you were born,
Where sweeter fruits than any do betide?
With radiant smiles your faces you adorn,
Yet neither gold nor silver is your pride,
I trow Love fashioned you with him to bide,
Angels you seem yet tattered raiment wear! '
'We live upon a hill beside some trees;
Humble our cot, we sleep in tiny bed
Both one and all together at our ease
When homewards we our gentle flocks have led
At eventide; by nature we are fed
Day after day in flowery meadows fair.'
95 'Your loveliness might well indeed make moan,
Which only among hills and vales is seen,
Though the proud cities of the world would own
It worthy to hold honourably, I ween!
Poor lassies, had you not far happier been
Out of these woods in more refinèd air? '
'Nay, we are well contented with our fate,
And, when we tend our flocks in pastures bright,
Merrier we are than you who go in state
To revel in your chamber shuttered tight;
Riches we do not crave nor gold delight,
But weave gay songs and garlands for our hair! '
O Ballad, were I now as long ago,
I'd be a shepherd lad upon a hill;
I'd mark these lassies' goings, but none should know;
I'd seek their company with a right good will;
For ever we'd be calling 'Jack' and 'Jill,'
And wheresoe'er they went I'd follow there.
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Ballata by Franco Sacchetti )
- When Whispers Death, Its Cruel Call!, Dr John Celes
- mother, Dr. Ramesh Chandra Mukhopadh ..
- Say You It, Bijay Kant Dubey
- Burning, Spiritwind Wood
- Somebody Often Keeps Asking, Bijay Kant Dubey
- The devotee shows his angry to the God!, Dr.V.K. Kanniappan
- Love-bonding With a Muhammedan Girl (Bil.., Bijay Kant Dubey
- Mera Amanaat Hai Tum, Amitava Sur
- IN both terms, hasmukh amathalal
- Before The Bullets, Alfred Barna
Poem of the Day
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- O Tell Me The Truth About Love, WH Auden
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- No More Clichés, Octavio Paz
- As I Grew Older, Langston Hughes
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- No Man Is An Island, John Donne
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
- Heather Burns
Ralph Waldo Emerson
(1803 - 1882)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)