Melodious dreams were soothing little Hans’ sleep.
The clear clarion tone mingled with his slumber, deep.
The night rhymed delightful in the lee,
But no one ever knew, there was a storm to creep.
Eventually the cooling wild wind surrounded the valley.
The thunder struck, the birds whooped & rattled the jalousie.
Little Hans woke up aghast by the sudden freak,
Perceived with wonder, how happened the unforeseen!
The clattering window took his leer heed;
He hastened to seal the open breach.
But there then he heard a kitten’s weep,
A mewling kitten in the alfresco, it was indeed.
Pronto the valiant said; “To her help, I’ll proceed”.
With tip toe steps, among the scantly leaves, towards the weak he
Alas! The insentient perked the soul; nobly being amidst angles,
A little boy con nix dither, nix jitter, nix angst.
Shaikh Mehmood's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Glossary: 1. Clarion: Musical instruments of a pipe like structure with holes.2. Slumber: Sleep.3. Lee: A calm place.4. Jalousie: Window.5. Leer heed: A careful sly look.6. Alfresco: Outside the door in open air (Origin Italian) .7. Pronto: Quickly without hesitation.8. Scantly: Of making sound.9. Con: With (Origin Spanish) .10. Nix: No (Origin German) .11. Dither: Fear (Origin Northern England) .12. Jitter: Nervousness.13. Angst: Anxiety (Origin Old German) .
Comments about this poem (Awakening! by Shaikh Mehmood )
- We fall....TO RISE, Soumita Sarkar Ray
- LOSS....MANY, Soumita Sarkar Ray
- Alchemies, Aleda Shirley
- LAST SONG, Soumita Sarkar Ray
- ETERNAL LOVE, Soumita Sarkar Ray
- April 15th, Aleda Shirley
- I can FOCUS, Soumita Sarkar Ray
- Defining myself, Soumita Sarkar Ray
- A doggerel coin!, Sreeram Vasudevan
- THE COME BACK., Terry Collett
Poem of the Day
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Home And Love, Robert William Service
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- No Man Is An Island, John Donne
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- All the World's a Stage, William Shakespeare
- Trees, Joyce Kilmer
(7 May 1861 – 7 August 1941)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(16 April 1918 – 27 February 2002)
- Heather Burns
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)