Melodious dreams were soothing little Hans’ sleep.
The clear clarion tone mingled with his slumber, deep.
The night rhymed delightful in the lee,
But no one ever knew, there was a storm to creep.
Eventually the cooling wild wind surrounded the valley.
The thunder struck, the birds whooped & rattled the jalousie.
Little Hans woke up aghast by the sudden freak,
Perceived with wonder, how happened the unforeseen!
The clattering window took his leer heed;
He hastened to seal the open breach.
But there then he heard a kitten’s weep,
A mewling kitten in the alfresco, it was indeed.
Pronto the valiant said; “To her help, I’ll proceed”.
With tip toe steps, among the scantly leaves, towards the weak he
Alas! The insentient perked the soul; nobly being amidst angles,
A little boy con nix dither, nix jitter, nix angst.
Shaikh Mehmood's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Glossary: 1. Clarion: Musical instruments of a pipe like structure with holes.2. Slumber: Sleep.3. Lee: A calm place.4. Jalousie: Window.5. Leer heed: A careful sly look.6. Alfresco: Outside the door in open air (Origin Italian) .7. Pronto: Quickly without hesitation.8. Scantly: Of making sound.9. Con: With (Origin Spanish) .10. Nix: No (Origin German) .11. Dither: Fear (Origin Northern England) .12. Jitter: Nervousness.13. Angst: Anxiety (Origin Old German) .
Comments about this poem (Awakening! by Shaikh Mehmood )
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
David Herbert Lawrence
(11 September 1885 – 2 March 1930)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- All the World's a Stage, William Shakespeare
- I Am the Only Being Whose Doom, Emily Jane Brontë
- No Man Is An Island, John Donne
- Television, Roald Dahl
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
Poem of the Day
- Hopeless Romantic, Shane Clawson
- Firebird Sunset, Salvatore Ala
- Flicker, Jessica Paige Davies
- I will always return, Jessica Paige Davies
- They are my horses, Jessica Paige Davies
- HOW THEY ALL FALL, Terry Collett
- Caucus at the Parking Meter, Donal Mahoney
- A Small Something, Jessica Paige Davies
- Shrouded, Jessica Paige Davies
- I Live, Tanja Henderson