Melodious dreams were soothing little Hans’ sleep.
The clear clarion tone mingled with his slumber, deep.
The night rhymed delightful in the lee,
But no one ever knew, there was a storm to creep.
Eventually the cooling wild wind surrounded the valley.
The thunder struck, the birds whooped & rattled the jalousie.
Little Hans woke up aghast by the sudden freak,
Perceived with wonder, how happened the unforeseen!
The clattering window took his leer heed;
He hastened to seal the open breach.
But there then he heard a kitten’s weep,
A mewling kitten in the alfresco, it was indeed.
Pronto the valiant said; “To her help, I’ll proceed”.
With tip toe steps, among the scantly leaves, towards the weak he
Alas! The insentient perked the soul; nobly being amidst angles,
A little boy con nix dither, nix jitter, nix angst.
Shaikh Mehmood's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Glossary: 1. Clarion: Musical instruments of a pipe like structure with holes.2. Slumber: Sleep.3. Lee: A calm place.4. Jalousie: Window.5. Leer heed: A careful sly look.6. Alfresco: Outside the door in open air (Origin Italian) .7. Pronto: Quickly without hesitation.8. Scantly: Of making sound.9. Con: With (Origin Spanish) .10. Nix: No (Origin German) .11. Dither: Fear (Origin Northern England) .12. Jitter: Nervousness.13. Angst: Anxiety (Origin Old German) .
Comments about this poem (Awakening! by Shaikh Mehmood )
- Wonder, shafeeqrahman rahman
- Disguised, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Shuffling, ramesh rai
- Clouds., Harold R Hunt Sr
- The whooper, Harold R Hunt Sr
- The flood., Harold R Hunt Sr
- I can't sleep at night., Harold R Hunt Sr
- Matter Has No Matter, Curtlan Popo
- The snow is pretty., Harold R Hunt Sr
- The bells do ring., Harold R Hunt Sr
Poem of the Day
- The Rider, Naomi Shihab Nye
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Nothing Gold Can Stay, Robert Frost
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- As I Grew Older, Langston Hughes
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
Naomi Shihab Nye
(12 March 1952)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
- Heather Burns
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(18 November 1939)