Melodious dreams were soothing little Hans’ sleep.
The clear clarion tone mingled with his slumber, deep.
The night rhymed delightful in the lee,
But no one ever knew, there was a storm to creep.
Eventually the cooling wild wind surrounded the valley.
The thunder struck, the birds whooped & rattled the jalousie.
Little Hans woke up aghast by the sudden freak,
Perceived with wonder, how happened the unforeseen!
The clattering window took his leer heed;
He hastened to seal the open breach.
But there then he heard a kitten’s weep,
A mewling kitten in the alfresco, it was indeed.
Pronto the valiant said; “To her help, I’ll proceed”.
With tip toe steps, among the scantly leaves, towards the weak he
Alas! The insentient perked the soul; nobly being amidst angles,
A little boy con nix dither, nix jitter, nix angst.
Shaikh Mehmood's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Glossary: 1. Clarion: Musical instruments of a pipe like structure with holes.2. Slumber: Sleep.3. Lee: A calm place.4. Jalousie: Window.5. Leer heed: A careful sly look.6. Alfresco: Outside the door in open air (Origin Italian) .7. Pronto: Quickly without hesitation.8. Scantly: Of making sound.9. Con: With (Origin Spanish) .10. Nix: No (Origin German) .11. Dither: Fear (Origin Northern England) .12. Jitter: Nervousness.13. Angst: Anxiety (Origin Old German) .
Comments about this poem (Awakening! by Shaikh Mehmood )
- Resistance To Change, Is It Poetry
- The Pirate's Lament, Alex Dubedat
- Live Life Smiling, Elizabeth Garcia
- Quiet Dave, Adeosun Olamide
- We Are That, Tushar Ray
- Old-Fashioned Cosmology, douglas scotney
- Dreamt Of You 3, Michael McParland
- That's When You Do It, douglas scotney
- Freedom in Love's Prison, Paul Hartal
- Gun Propaganda, Is It Poetry
Poem of the Day
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(22 March 1941 -)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)