As I was suddenly awakened
By some noise in the street
My mind went into high gear
All kind of things begin to creep.
Was it a cat or a dog
Or maybe it was a rat
But who would ever know
If all we did was sat.
How long must anyone sit
And not know if success is going by
Why can't everyone listen
Because life so loudly cries.
I'm trying to give you progress
I'm trying to give you success
I'm trying to give you a living
I'm doing my level best.
Just because its noisy
Doesn't always mean its wrong
Sometimes it opportunity
Just trying to find a home.
I know someone won't understand
I know everything is not for you or me
But neither one will ever know
If we don't get up to see.
Cecelia Weir's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Awaken by Cecelia Weir )
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Woman Work, Maya Angelou
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
Poem of the Day
- Underwoods: Epigram, Robert Louis Stevenson
- Passions of Love, Cathy Hodgson
- What Is an Epigram?, Samuel Taylor Coleridge
- Before and Every After, Marianne Boruch
- Patron, Archan Mehta
- I Never Compose A Poem, Asit Kumar Sanyal
- Binoo the Actor, sarojkanta dash
- It Is Not Mine, Asit Kumar Sanyal
- A Train Journey, Asit Kumar Sanyal
- Control of disease leprosy, Gangadharan nair Pulingat..