Francis William Lauderdale Adams
SHE. — 'Up and down, up and down,
From early eve to early day.
Life is quicker in the town;
When you've leisure, anyway!
'Down and up, down and up!
O will no one stop and speak?
I am fain to eat and sup,
All my limbs are heavy and weak.
'What's my price, sirs! I'm no Jew.
If with me you wish to sleep,
'Tis five francs, sirs. Surely you
Will admit that that is cheap?'
HE. — 'Christ, if you are not stone blind,
Stone deaf also, you know it is
Christian towns leave far behind
Sodom and those other cities.
'Bid your Father strike this town,
Wipe it utterly away!
Weary, hungry, up and down
From early eve to early day?
'Magdalen knew nought like this;
She had food and roof above;
Seven devils, too, did she possess;
This poor soul had but one — love!
THE OTHER. — 'No, Christ is not deaf nor blind;
He's but dust in Syrian ground,
And his Father has declined
To a parson's phrase, a sound.
'Not by such, then, but by us
These hell-wrongs must be redressed
Take this morsel venomous:
Nourish it within your breast.
'You must live on, live and hate;
Conquer wrath, despair and pain;
For ‘we bid you hope’ and wait
Till the Red Flag flies again:
'Till once more the People rise,
Once more, once and only once,
Blood-red bands and blazing eyes
Of the robbed and murdered ones!'
A part of Paris.
Francis William Lauderdale Adams's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Aux Ternes by Francis William Lauderdale Adams )
- AK-47, Edward Kofi Louis
- Poem for Dwayne, Jenny Santiago
- Raschid, Edward Kofi Louis
- Cupcake capers, Roann Mendriq
- Dschamila, Edward Kofi Louis
- Scattered dreams, gajanan mishra
- The Glow on the Outback Hill, David Lewis Paget
- God's Kind of Poetry, Diane Hine
- Whole world enjoys with this pain,, Aftab Alam
- Epitaph, Naveed Khalid
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- At Last She Comes, Robert Louis Stevenson
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Trees, Joyce Kilmer
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
- Heather Burns
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(13 September 1916 – 23 November 1990)
(7 May 1861 – 7 August 1941)
William Carlos Williams
(17 September 1883 – 4 March 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)