Francis William Lauderdale Adams
SHE. — 'Up and down, up and down,
From early eve to early day.
Life is quicker in the town;
When you've leisure, anyway!
'Down and up, down and up!
O will no one stop and speak?
I am fain to eat and sup,
All my limbs are heavy and weak.
'What's my price, sirs! I'm no Jew.
If with me you wish to sleep,
'Tis five francs, sirs. Surely you
Will admit that that is cheap?'
HE. — 'Christ, if you are not stone blind,
Stone deaf also, you know it is
Christian towns leave far behind
Sodom and those other cities.
'Bid your Father strike this town,
Wipe it utterly away!
Weary, hungry, up and down
From early eve to early day?
'Magdalen knew nought like this;
She had food and roof above;
Seven devils, too, did she possess;
This poor soul had but one — love!
THE OTHER. — 'No, Christ is not deaf nor blind;
He's but dust in Syrian ground,
And his Father has declined
To a parson's phrase, a sound.
'Not by such, then, but by us
These hell-wrongs must be redressed
Take this morsel venomous:
Nourish it within your breast.
'You must live on, live and hate;
Conquer wrath, despair and pain;
For ‘we bid you hope’ and wait
Till the Red Flag flies again:
'Till once more the People rise,
Once more, once and only once,
Blood-red bands and blazing eyes
Of the robbed and murdered ones!'
A part of Paris.
Francis William Lauderdale Adams's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Aux Ternes by Francis William Lauderdale Adams )
- Happiness Is..., Arno Le Roux
- I Never Travelled Alone, Akhtar Jawad
- Wholesomeness To Thirst, Lawrence S. Pertillar
- Sleep At The Wheel, Lawrence S. Pertillar
- Home and Love, Aftab Alam
- Annihilation of trust, Aftab Alam
- Take My Things..., Mr. Nobody
- power of youth, maharshi trivedi
- Let the body die, why should I die?, Aftab Alam
- artist, maharshi trivedi
Poem of the Day
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- A Dream Within A Dream, Edgar Allan Poe
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
- Heather Burns
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(22 March 1941 -)