It was starting to change.
I walked nonchalantly
down the park sidewalk
under the tired oaks
in the late afternoon.
Dead leaves scurried past me
as the wind pressed my back.
with its jealous moon,
has begun to push away the sun
sooner in the day.
And the cool breeze
reminds me of what was…
what no longer is.
The summer is dead
along with its many sins
The abhorrent heat,
which has ripened
the vilest perversions of life,
has gone away.
with its merciless vigor,
will no longer burn,
will no longer deaden the
the vitality under my skin, and
finally, will no longer set fire
to the ones I love.
It’s the dawn of Autumn,
the leaves have begun
their colorful turn.
Smokey chimneys fill the
and the jacket clad people
cover up their summer stains.
This all reminds me
of what is no more,
and I’m now immune.
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Autumn by Erik Rittenberry )
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
Harivansh Rai Bachchan
(27 November 1907 – 18 January 2003)
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Tonight I can write the saddest lines, Pablo Neruda
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Alone, Edgar Allan Poe
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
Poem of the Day
- Dear! It Has To Be you, Rimni chakravarty
- Upon These Adored Shores, Lawrence S. Pertillar
- Myself, Rimni chakravarty
- A tale of two trees, Ricky Nyairo
- Priceless Price, Persian Nightingale
- Cacophonous eves, Priyanka Bhowmick
- MY SIMPLE TASTES, Hannington Mumo
- I Feel So Lonely/So Left Out Of It, Shalom Freedman
- Cliche, Rimni chakravarty
- Acceptance of peace., Gangadharan nair Pulingat..