The underachiever woke up on the wrong
Side of life, or so he supposed with a
Perceived unawareness and a limited view.
Why else would one with such potential
Arrive packaged like this, in a place with
No future, in the middle of nowhere, put
To tests with no score or prize.
Over the campus and through the army
To New York and Houston he did go
Getting laid instead of laying plans;
Wrapped in gratification; a spirited soul
Looking for a mate, a seeker without a
Always ready, but never prepared.
Fit as a middle-man, with the innate ability
To find a hot and caring prospect, cover
His tail, and run. Where's the future in that?
Underachiever: Worker-bee extraordinaire
With leadership potential and no desire to boss.
Six here and ten there, no meaningful tenure,
No retirement package with comfort to share.
A traveler with awareness that living is what
It's all about, unsure of the process.
Blest beyond reason, with a sweet charity
Inclination and a poets soul. (Rhyme it!)
Ashes to ashes and knees to knees; come on
Peace and fulfillment before I blink or sneeze!
Jim Boone's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Autobiography #88 by Jim Boone )
- My nature is to write, gajanan mishra
- Two Rings, Shannon Paterson
- Dreams Incarnate, Dylan Engelbrecht
- The Rose, Neela Nath
- No one to question, hasmukh amathalal
- She does, hasmukh amathalal
- Multi-dimensional; heavens?, Mark Heathcote
- Watch, ramesh rai
- You Know I Do, Michael McParland
- Drowning, Neela Nath
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Nothing Gold Can Stay, Robert Frost
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
- Heather Burns
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)