The underachiever woke up on the wrong
Side of life, or so he supposed with a
Perceived unawareness and a limited view.
Why else would one with such potential
Arrive packaged like this, in a place with
No future, in the middle of nowhere, put
To tests with no score or prize.
Over the campus and through the army
To New York and Houston he did go
Getting laid instead of laying plans;
Wrapped in gratification; a spirited soul
Looking for a mate, a seeker without a
Always ready, but never prepared.
Fit as a middle-man, with the innate ability
To find a hot and caring prospect, cover
His tail, and run. Where's the future in that?
Underachiever: Worker-bee extraordinaire
With leadership potential and no desire to boss.
Six here and ten there, no meaningful tenure,
No retirement package with comfort to share.
A traveler with awareness that living is what
It's all about, unsure of the process.
Blest beyond reason, with a sweet charity
Inclination and a poets soul. (Rhyme it!)
Ashes to ashes and knees to knees; come on
Peace and fulfillment before I blink or sneeze!
Jim Boone's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Autobiography #88 by Jim Boone )
- Hunger, Gangadharan nair Pulingat..
- My Tokyo, Kazuko Shiraishi
- We fall....TO RISE, Soumita Sarkar Ray
- LOSS....MANY, Soumita Sarkar Ray
- Alchemies, Aleda Shirley
- LAST SONG, Soumita Sarkar Ray
- ETERNAL LOVE, Soumita Sarkar Ray
- April 15th, Aleda Shirley
- I can FOCUS, Soumita Sarkar Ray
- Defining myself, Soumita Sarkar Ray
Poem of the Day
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- A Dream Within A Dream, Edgar Allan Poe
- Being With You, Heather Burns
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- No Man Is An Island, John Donne
- Sonnet XVII, Pablo Neruda
(30 October 1885 – 1 November 1972)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
- Heather Burns
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(24 October 1923 – 20 December 1997)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)