The underachiever woke up on the wrong
Side of life, or so he supposed with a
Perceived unawareness and a limited view.
Why else would one with such potential
Arrive packaged like this, in a place with
No future, in the middle of nowhere, put
To tests with no score or prize.
Over the campus and through the army
To New York and Houston he did go
Getting laid instead of laying plans;
Wrapped in gratification; a spirited soul
Looking for a mate, a seeker without a
Always ready, but never prepared.
Fit as a middle-man, with the innate ability
To find a hot and caring prospect, cover
His tail, and run. Where's the future in that?
Underachiever: Worker-bee extraordinaire
With leadership potential and no desire to boss.
Six here and ten there, no meaningful tenure,
No retirement package with comfort to share.
A traveler with awareness that living is what
It's all about, unsure of the process.
Blest beyond reason, with a sweet charity
Inclination and a poets soul. (Rhyme it!)
Ashes to ashes and knees to knees; come on
Peace and fulfillment before I blink or sneeze!
Jim Boone's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Autobiography #88 by Jim Boone )
- I Have Fallen In Deep, Lilly Emery
- Bramblehash, Luke J. Holt
- A Bare Night, Tony Adah
- That Special Feeling, Bill Cantrell
- The Pit Among Dreams, Lilly Emery
- Vietnam ~ Part 2, Sara Fielder
- Time, Mario,Lucien,Rene Odekerken
- The Search For Peace, david kush
- Without It Questioned, Lawrence S. Pertillar
- Bane of Attraction, Anthony Edmond John