Aubane's Jilted Flower
He left her at Aubane cross on a sunny morn in May
He kissed the tearful maid goodbye and then the motor car sped away
His driver drove towards Shannon for Australia he was bound
He had left Aubane and Millstreet and was leaving Irish ground.
He had left behind his blue eyed maid with hair of hazel brown
In the green, green valley of Aubane two miles from Millstreet Town,
He had left Aubane and Millstreet and the one who loved him true
For the bush lands of Australia the Homeland of the roo
She waited for his promised letter but the letter never came
For three long years she waited but her wait was all in vain
For three long years she waited with a heart that ached with woe
In the green, green valley of Aubane where Aubane waters flow.
Ah but she grew tired of waiting she had paid love's bitter price
And she wed the man who loved her she wed her second choice
And the man she loved in Aussie Land had forgot her complete
He'd forgot the flower of Aubane and the darling of Millstreet.
He was just a money lover and he wed an Aussie maid
A wealthy rancher's daughter with her fortune ready made
He forsook the flower of Aubane for a young Australian lass
The lone child of a rancher with a hundred miles of grass.
There's a lesson here for you young maid don't let love rule your head
For the man that you love most of all may not ask you to wed
For man's a money chaser a lover of wealth and power
He could leave you disappointed like Aubane's jilted flower.
Francis Duggan's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Aubane's Jilted Flower by Francis Duggan )
Did you read them?
- Love: Don't Bargain, Aftab Alam
- War is lust and Peace is Love,, Aftab Alam
- CV, Mae AC.
- Endless game, hasmukh amathalal
- Seasonings of Sense, Mae AC.
- War And Not To Love, Lawrence S. Pertillar
- ISRO's MOM in Mars - Congrats to Indian .., Dr John Celes
- Free on the Breeze, Thomas Plotz
- Gather strength, hasmukh amathalal
- INDIA! INDIA!, dr.k.g.balakrishnan kandangath
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Morning, Paul Laurence Dunbar
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
- Heather Burns
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
Rainer Maria Rilke
(4 December 1875 – 29 December 1926)