Electric light, orange glow,
hums and flickers out.
Beneath unnatural hue, a deeper gloom,
the pub is turning out.
The alley cats are mewling,
prowling by the bin.
The drunks are cursing keyholes,
knocking, they can’t get in.
The little owl sits hooting,
oblivious to the scene.
The drunks and cats are homebound,
It’s like they’ve never been.
Stillness claims the night,
the moon reveals her face.
The pipistrelles now take to wing,
with elegance and grace.
A lonely fox, chasing scraps,
a hedgehog snuffles through the grass.
The fox has found a morsel,
amongst the broken glass.
Now the sun is rising,
the moon, yawning, says goodbye.
The milk cart hums down the lane,
the songbirds start to fly.
Jojoba Mansell's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (At Night by Jojoba Mansell )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(13 February 1879 - 2 March 1949)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Christmas Trees, Robert Frost
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Alone And Drinking Under The Moon, Li Po
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- I, Too, Langston Hughes
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
Poem of the Day
- Merry Christmas, lee fones
- Searching For Convictions, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Not Strong Enough, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Past Woes, Naveed Akram
- Knowing Their Loss, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- The Screwed for Life Club, Francie Lynch
- Let's Celebrate Life, Roxanne Dubarry
- Descendants, Akhtar Jawad
- The Heart Of A Poet, arshad arshad
- Have You Seen The Bizarre And Grotesque .., Bijay Kant Dubey