At Margaret's House
The big old white house on the top of the small hill
By a woodland
Was filled with lots of children.
On some summer days laughing and splashing in the pool
Was the thing to do
For Margaret and her friends in the sun.
She was one of the young girls who lived there
And I was a friend.
Would you believe a special table for us
Was set up, too, outdoors in the fresh air!
On it were boxes of ice cream flavors to choose,
Soda water, brightly colored red syrup and more
And rich cream - everything to make as many
Ice cream sodas as we wanted as if in a dream
Without a care in the world.
We played in the round blue pool
In the afternoon
And had ice cream sodas on a
Summer's day to stay cool.
At times other days inside on the record player
We listened to 'Rubber Soul'.
I was maybe twelve years old.
Margaret moved to another town
A few years later
And the house was long ago torn down.
Whenever I drive by that place
There is something about it
In the sun
Something time has not erased -
A memory of fun.
Gayle Sweeney's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (At Margaret's House by Gayle Sweeney )
- knock knock, Harold R Hunt Sr
- Teacher Teacher, Harold R Hunt Sr
- Forget Alzheimer's, S. I. Rednow
- I cant tell you I love you, Trong Phan
- Where frozen ember still burn, Harold R Hunt Sr
- Season ends, Harold R Hunt Sr
- Don't look back, Harold R Hunt Sr
- Fire and Movement, Akhtar Jawad
- Look up to the sky, Harold R Hunt Sr
- Post-Suicide, Sierra Staten
Poem of the Day
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- Nothing Gold Can Stay, Robert Frost
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
- Heather Burns
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(1904 - 1967)