As Thorns in Achilles Heel
Didacticism, how wide the prevalence,
The essayists, handmaidens, imparting bias~
Propaganda tainted without truth, rhetoric
Painted with Stalin’s prose, nothing else.
Their dreams, fruitless, impotent by negligent intent
Overtly dependent upon riding backs, by those
Whose dreams are devoid of a fiscal conscious~
Robbing Peter to pay Paul: a fatal design.
Ignorant of the fact, or from avarice, greedy~
That which one sows is that which one reaps.
Chanting, whining, liberally, literally, their
Knuckles worn bare, in pockets not their own.
An insidious cloying fever, heads bowing before
Fame of the drawing card, a cult of those
For whom personal responsibility belongs only,
Solely...they chant...to the other side.
Hath common sense withered and died, that a
Nation of sheep are led in race over the cliff,
By one, in disguise, each one coveting, jealous,
Wanting, claiming that to which he has no right?
George Orwell and 1984 have come and gone, yet
The vision, about a body left unchecked, remains. The
Wolf still lives, wields control, his pronouncements
Are as infected thorns in a nation’s achilles heel.
Jackie Allen's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (As Thorns in Achilles Heel by Jackie Allen )
- A Confession, Pradip Chattopadhyay
- My Dog Lays at, David McLansky
- Asthi-Kalasha, Bijay Kant Dubey
- And We Came to Pass, Abdulrasaq Akingbo Okanlambe
- Praising a Poet, 'me' by a Co-Poet!, Dr.V.K. Kanniappan
- My Dog Lays at My Feet, David McLansky
- The two I trust (sonnet), Tinashe Mupedzapasi
- Owls or rats, Tinashe Mupedzapasi
- Jesus, God, Tinashe Mupedzapasi
- माँ का सूरज कहीं खो गया, Aftab Alam
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- 1914 V: The Soldier, Rupert Brooke
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Television, Roald Dahl
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- All the World's a Stage, William Shakespeare
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(23 July 1823 - 26 November 1896)
Walter de la Mare
(1873 - 1958)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(13 September 1916 – 23 November 1990)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)