As Long As It Takes
...I stand above, not that far...
I step down, my eyes gone crimson.
I crash to the floor, my tears creating a puddle.
My hands begin to quiver, unable to control...
...Wet, salty tears, enough to drown in...
I have no one, I am alone, and I am tired.
I have done so much harm, but it is like I cannot stop.
This is my resolution...
...It is no question, my rope is thinning...
I slowly gather myself, and lurch to my feet.
Cannot focus properly, I slump down to the floor.
Trying to regain myself, through my rushing tears...
...The die has been cast... waiting for the verdict...
I feel my heart... still beating away.
I wipe away my tears and get up.
Taking a deep breath, I stand strong...
...The roll completed, the face number... Four...
I slowly step back up, I grab onto it.
Fit my head through, and tighten.
I kick the chair away...
...'Number Four, the Asian homonym for... Death'...
'The Lord has forgiveness, but not for you my son, I am sorry.'
Morgan Siegel's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Comments about this poem (As Long As It Takes by Morgan Siegel )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
- Christina Georgina Rossetti
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
Harivansh Rai Bachchan
(27 November 1907 – 18 January 2003)
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- The Saddest Poem, Pablo Neruda
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- A Poison Tree, William Blake
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- A Dream Within A Dream, Edgar Allan Poe
- A Smile To Remember, Charles Bukowski
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
Poem of the Day
- In A Land Where Every Dream Has Landed, Michael P. McParland
- Zak, Elia Michael
- Totally Exhausted, Michael P. McParland
- Painful Throbbing Tides, Michael P. McParland
- A Song For Anne, Joseph Archer
- Peace Be With Us, Michael P. McParland
- Phantom Tear, Michael P. McParland
- Poetry..., Feride Serin
- Please, Michael P. McParland
- One More Time, Kyle Schlicher