As Long As It Takes
...I stand above, not that far...
I step down, my eyes gone crimson.
I crash to the floor, my tears creating a puddle.
My hands begin to quiver, unable to control...
...Wet, salty tears, enough to drown in...
I have no one, I am alone, and I am tired.
I have done so much harm, but it is like I cannot stop.
This is my resolution...
...It is no question, my rope is thinning...
I slowly gather myself, and lurch to my feet.
Cannot focus properly, I slump down to the floor.
Trying to regain myself, through my rushing tears...
...The die has been cast... waiting for the verdict...
I feel my heart... still beating away.
I wipe away my tears and get up.
Taking a deep breath, I stand strong...
...The roll completed, the face number... Four...
I slowly step back up, I grab onto it.
Fit my head through, and tighten.
I kick the chair away...
...'Number Four, the Asian homonym for... Death'...
'The Lord has forgiveness, but not for you my son, I am sorry.'
Morgan Siegel's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Comments about this poem (As Long As It Takes by Morgan Siegel )
- Feast in candlelight, Fadhil Al Azzawi
- Countryside Today, Sentamu Aziz
- When the sky still had no name, Fadhil Al Azzawi
- Golden Sacrifice, Kwai Chee Low
- Inside a black hole, Fadhil Al Azzawi
- 2 October 2014, Shri R Brahma
- Elegy Number Six, Nouri al Jarrah
- Elegy Number Three, Nouri al Jarrah
- looking, llinda bevan
- Elegy Number Two, Nouri al Jarrah
Poem of the Day
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- A Thought, Robert Louis Stevenson
- On the Ning Nang Nong, Spike Milligan
- Not Waving but Drowning, Stevie Smith
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Tarantella, Hilaire Belloc
- First Day at School, Roger McGough
- No Man Is An Island, John Donne
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
(16 April 1918 – 27 February 2002)
(24 January 1572 - 31 March 1631)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)