William Ernest Henley
As Like The Woman As You Can
'As like the Woman as you can' -
(Thus the New Adam was beguiled) -
'So shall you touch the Perfect Man' -
(God in the Garden heard and smiled).
'Your father perished with his day:
'A clot of passions fierce and blind,
'He fought, he hacked, he crushed his way:
'Your muscles, Child, must be of mind.
'The Brute that lurks and irks within,
'How, till you have him gagged and bound,
'Escape the foullest form of Sin?'
(God in the Garden laughed and frowned).
'So vile, so rank, the bestial mood
'In which the race is bid to be,
'It wrecks the Rarer Womanhood:
'Live, therefore, you, for Purity!
'Take for your mate no gallant croup,
'No girl all grace and natural will:
'To work her mission were to stoop,
'Maybe to lapse, from Well to Ill.
'Choose one of whom your grosser make' -
(God in the Garden laughed outright) -
'The true refining touch may take,
'Till both attain to Life's last height.
'There, equal, purged of soul and sense.
'Beneficent, high-thinking, just,
'Beyond the appeal of Violence,
'Incapable of common Lust,
'In mental Marriage still prevail' -
(God in the Garden hid His face) -
'Till you achieve that Female-Male
'In Which shall culminate the race.'
William Ernest Henley's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (As Like The Woman As You Can by William Ernest Henley )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
Alfred Lord Tennyson
(6 August 1809 – 6 October 1892)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Alone, Edgar Allan Poe
- I Am the Only Being Whose Doom, Emily Jane Brontë
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- A Dream Within A Dream, Edgar Allan Poe
- Nothing Gold Can Stay, Robert Frost
- A Fairy Song, William Shakespeare
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
Poem of the Day
- Is Adil Jussawalla The Eklavya, Abhimany.., Bijay Kant Dubey
- I Envy The Rats, Kyle Schlicher
- Thanks for elienating me., Tiyani Shadrack Manganya
- Ain't Try'n Deny'n, Steve Kittell
- You is Me, Mapung Madura
- Legendary Nostradamus Prophet, lee fones
- Thomas' Impossible Escape, Susan Wetmore
- Business-like, gajanan mishra
- Why Poetry Is Beautiful, Leong Ming Loong
- Blood Bath, Suresh Dogra