What is art other than your point of view?
Your judgment, interest or boredom,
I sit you down as a group of strangers,
Look at this thing in front of you!
Look at its shape, does it touch you?
Does it move you at all?
Can you feel your life peeled away when you look,
Like a voyeur, the bystander to this accident,
Can you feel what I want you to feel?
Can you feel what everybody feels?
Where does it hurt you when you stare,
When you cannot move.
What do you see, what do you think?
And the next face behind you, what
Does he think or the woman with you?
What is art other than your hatred,
Your memories, your fears and scars,
Projected on me?
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Art by Jan Hauck )
Rainer Maria Rilke
(4 December 1875 – 29 December 1926)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(9 November 1928 – 4 October 1974)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(22 August 1893 - 7 June 1967)
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- The Raven, Edgar Allan Poe
- No Man Is An Island, John Donne
- A Child's Christmas in Wales, Dylan Thomas
Poem of the Day
- Boy vs girl, Mark Heathcote
- remplaçable, Lubinda Lubinda
- Human Nature, Merton Lee
- Those Moments Of Weakness لحظات الضعف هذه, MOHAMMAD SKATI
- Money (Cedi), Ghana Green Poetry Foundation
- Off the Rez, Smoky Hoss
- As an emigrant كمهاجر, MOHAMMAD SKATI
- Two Little Boats, Ghana Green Poetry Foundation
- The Golden Swan, Ghana Green Poetry Foundation
- As a passer-bye, MOHAMMAD SKATI