Around The Table
We sit around the table,
elbows poised and hands on chin
as airy voices ring in our ears.
First about dogs,
packs of them,
chasing some poor deer,
and then we hear of
a black and white spotted monster,
from there it’s on to Rabbi Burns,
who is breading like rabbits.
Next is about some poor Mrs.
who has everything,
but doesn’t know what to do,
after that we are serenaded
about people standing on their head.
Ah, but it doesn’t finish there,
my lurid tale is yet to befall their ears.
Heaven help them!
2 May 1985
I wrote this at a time when I was attending a writing class and is glimpse of an evening there in an amusing way.)
David Harris's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Around The Table by David Harris )
- ~True Love ~, Aftab Alam
- A Country on Its Knees, mai venn
- Uncontrollable Poet, Erato
- Clocks, fiona sinclair
- Day Tripper, fiona sinclair
- Internet Dating, fiona sinclair
- Precious life it is!, Gangadharan nair Pulingat..
- Family portrait, fiona sinclair
- Post dated appointment, fiona sinclair
- Moody hopes, Chai Amos
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- All the World's a Stage, William Shakespeare
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
- Heather Burns
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)