Around The Table
We sit around the table,
elbows poised and hands on chin
as airy voices ring in our ears.
First about dogs,
packs of them,
chasing some poor deer,
and then we hear of
a black and white spotted monster,
from there it’s on to Rabbi Burns,
who is breading like rabbits.
Next is about some poor Mrs.
who has everything,
but doesn’t know what to do,
after that we are serenaded
about people standing on their head.
Ah, but it doesn’t finish there,
my lurid tale is yet to befall their ears.
Heaven help them!
2 May 1985
I wrote this at a time when I was attending a writing class and is glimpse of an evening there in an amusing way.)
David Harris's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Around The Table by David Harris )
- Quiet Dave, Adeosun Olamide
- We Are That, Tushar Ray
- Old-Fashioned Cosmology, douglas scotney
- Dreamt Of You 3, Michael McParland
- That's When You Do It, douglas scotney
- Freedom in Love's Prison, Paul Hartal
- Gun Propaganda, Is It Poetry
- Silver Spoons, Mikey Bachman
- Perjury against the Innocent Punished by.., Dimitri Jagodinski
- Marital-Reciprocity, American-Style ......, Bri Edwards
Poem of the Day
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- The Lesson, Maya Angelou
- The Raven, Edgar Allan Poe
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(22 March 1941 -)