Arithmetic is where numbers fly like pigeons in and out of your
Arithmet ic tell you how many you lose or win if you know how
many you had before you lost or won.
Arithmetic is seven eleven all good children go to heaven -- or five
six bundle of sticks.
Arithmetic is numbers you squeeze from your head to your hand
to your pencil to your paper till you get the answer.
Arithmetic is where the answer is right and everything is nice and
you can look out of the window and see the blue sky -- or the
answer is wrong and you have to start all over and try again
and see how it comes out this time.
If you take a number and double it and double it again and then
double it a few more times, the number gets bigger and bigger
and goes higher and higher and only arithmetic can tell you
what the number is when you decide to quit doubling.
Arithmetic is where you have to multiply -- and you carry the
multiplication table in your head and hope you won't lose it.
If you have two animal crackers, one good and one bad, and you
eat one and a striped zebra with streaks all over him eats the
other, how many animal crackers will you have if somebody
offers you five six seven and you say No no no and you say
Nay nay nay and you say Nix nix nix?
If you ask your mother for one fried egg for breakfast and she
gives you two fried eggs and you eat both of them, who is
better in arithmetic, you or your mother?
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Arithmetic by Carl Sandburg )
Did you read them?
- The pain and pricks., Gangadharan nair Pulingat..
- The maiden poem...., PARTHA SARATHI PAUL
- Loves silent vigil, Erato
- I Miss You., sanjay Pathak
- I am Sorry., sanjay Pathak
- Dunderheaded Love Stories (Adwoa Xanthe), Dexsta Ray
- an unpassionate night, lee fones
- Mobocracy, Aftab Alam
- WHAT IS TO BE A MAN?, Ali Faisal
- NIRVANA, Thor Fabian Pettersen
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- Stafford's Cabin, Edwin Arlington Robinson
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- No Man Is An Island, John Donne
- Farewell Love and All Thy Laws Forever, Sir Thomas Wyatt
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(1886 - 1967)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
Edwin Arlington Robinson
(22 December 1869 – 6 April 1935)
(13 February 1879 - 2 March 1949)