What's the matter?
Awful! An enormous...
An enormous what?
Oh. It probably came in today by the terrace door. So what?
So what? This is a Harlem fly.
Don't be silly. Flies are flies.
Wrong. This is a distinct species: Mosca harlemnis.
That's absurd. What's it doing in the bathroom, anyway?
Well, to paraphrase Shakespeare, copulating with my toothbrush!
You know I hate it when you talk about your toothbrush.
You don't understand. This fly is grazing in my bristles.
The Harlem fly is?
So? What a thing! Don't you know what that means?
I'm afraid not.
Honey, what do flies eat for dinner? In a word?
Well, ah, garbage. Garbage, I guess.
And what do flies carry- Harlem flies beyond others?
Um, ca-ca. Germs. Disease. On their little pseudopods.
So. What if I hadn't seen it? I'd've been exposed. I'd probably waste away, then. Unaccountably.
And it would have been all be my fault. Honey, don't be so bourgeois. Lucky you saw it. Now, come to bed.
You don't understand. You know I can't just forget these things.
I have to mull them over- the merest scratch. You know how things stick in my mind.
Bother! what did....
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Arghh! by Morgan Michaels )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(12 May 1812 – 29 January 1888)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(31 October 1795 – 23 February 1821)
(30 December 1865 – 18 January 1936)
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- All the World's a Stage, William Shakespeare
- Remember To Clean Up After Yourself., Adahlia Bathory
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- A Thing of Beauty (Endymion), John Keats
- Inspiration, Henry David Thoreau
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Jiske Dhun Par Duniya Nache, Kumar Vishwas
Poem of the Day
- Lost and Found, michael hagwood
- I Decided, Jeri Martindale
- I surrender, Zafar Iqbal
- The Greatest, Michael P. McParland
- Christmas Rhyme, Akhil Arya
- The Best Days, Michael P. McParland
- The Arrival, Michael P. McParland
- Thank You So Very Much, Michael P. McParland
- This Life, Bijay Kant Dubey
- Thank You KP, Michael P. McParland