What's the matter?
Awful! An enormous...
An enormous what?
Oh. It probably came in today by the terrace door. So what?
So what? This is a Harlem fly.
Don't be silly. Flies are flies.
Wrong. This is a distinct species: Mosca harlemnis.
That's absurd. What's it doing in the bathroom, anyway?
Well, to paraphrase Shakespeare, copulating with my toothbrush!
You know I hate it when you talk about your toothbrush.
You don't understand. This fly is grazing in my bristles.
The Harlem fly is?
So? What a thing! Don't you know what that means?
I'm afraid not.
Honey, what do flies eat for dinner? In a word?
Well, ah, garbage. Garbage, I guess.
And what do flies carry- Harlem flies beyond others?
Um, ca-ca. Germs. Disease. On their little pseudopods.
So. What if I hadn't seen it? I'd've been exposed. I'd probably waste away, then. Unaccountably.
And it would have been all be my fault. Honey, don't be so bourgeois. Lucky you saw it. Now, come to bed.
You don't understand. You know I can't just forget these things.
I have to mull them over- the merest scratch. You know how things stick in my mind.
Bother! what did....
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Arghh! by Morgan Michaels )
- Silent Witness, James coupland
- A happy Farmer Family, Nishchal Ningleku
- Yes and no two words, gajanan mishra
- sister forever, yolandey breedt
- Diya (Reposted), DEEPAK KUMAR PATTANAYAK
- Life is better shared, belinda mrwebi
- What Is It?, Leloudia Migdali
- Wald, Paola Degli Esposti
- Sex Ed, Betsy Sholl
- Creamer Quest, Antonio Liao
Poem of the Day
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- A Drinking Song, William Butler Yeats
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- No Man Is An Island, John Donne
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(16 April 1918 – 27 February 2002)
- Heather Burns
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)