Are You Beautiful?
Are you beautiful? Don’t compare yourselves to magazines or women on TV
Look past the mirror image and tell me what you see.
For beauty, true beauty is entirely within your control
Look past the reflected image and gaze into your soul.
When we only think of beauty in superficial ways
We forget everyone is beautiful in his or her own way.
When we learn to see that beauty then we are truly blessed
Because finding it in others uncovers the beauty we possess.
Our looks are bound to change as we get old and grey
But the beauty in our soul grows stronger every day.
That is the beauty we should nurture, the beauty of which we need to be aware
Not the ever changing outside appearance, but the beauty that’s always there.
With this in mind I’ll repeat the question? For the answer you don’t have to look far
So, once again, are you beautiful? ....Smile...of course you are.
Jim Yerman's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Are You Beautiful? by Jim Yerman )
- Die Frau des Gastwirts, Wolfgang Steinmann
- Las Mariposas (the Butterflies), John F. McCullagh
- Hindsight coloured, Rm.Shanmugam Chettiar.
- Practise dispassion., Rm.Shanmugam Chettiar.
- Reichsbank Gold, Paul Hartal
- Ferguson Grand Jury, Is It Poetry
- The lost bliss, Rm.Shanmugam Chettiar.
- Sonnet: Christmas,2014(Advance Greetings), Dr John Celes
- Thread of Communication, Tirupathi Chandrupatla
- Harold Shipman's Crime, Jacob Mikael Matuszczak
Poem of the Day
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- No Man Is An Island, John Donne
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Alone, Maya Angelou
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(30 December 1865 – 18 January 1936)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)