Lo! in storms, the triple-headed
Hill, whose dreaded
Bases battle with the seas,
Looms across fierce widths of fleeting
Evermore on roaring leas!
Arakoon, the black, the lonely!
Housed with only
Cloud and rain-wind, mist and damp;
Round whose foam-drenched feet and nether
Sullen sprites of thunder tramp!
There the East hums loud and surly,
Late and early,
Through the chasms and the caves,
And across the naked verges
Leap the surges!
White and wailing waifs of waves.
Day by day the sea-fogs gathered—
Pitch their tents on yonder peak,
Yellow drifts and fragments lying
Where the flying
Torrents chafe the cloven creek!
And at nightfall, when the driven
Bolts of heaven
Smite the rock and break the bluff,
Thither troop the elves whose home is
Where the foam is,
And the echo and the clough.
Ever girt about with noises,
And the salt breath of the Strait,
Stands the steadfast Mountain Giant,
Dark as Death, and firm as Fate.
So when trouble treads, like thunder,
Weak men under—
Treads and breaks the thews of these—
Set thyself to bear it bravely,
Like the hill in yonder seas;
Since the wrestling and endurance
To the faint at bay with pain,
That no soul to strong endeavour
Yoked for ever,
Works against the tide in vain.
Henry Kendall's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Arakoon by Henry Kendall )
- तुम्हारी याद (Hindi), Rajnish Manga
- Sacred Men, Naveed Akram
- दर्द ही सही (Hindi), Rajnish Manga
- तेरा ग़म (Hindi), Rajnish Manga
- On the road of life على طريق الحياة, MOHAMMAD SKATI
- Travel, Hans Raj Sharma
- I Will Enter, Asit Kumar Sanyal
- Unlimited Love, howard simon
- O, Earth! O, Heavens!, Rachel Glassman
- Epithalamium, Rachel Glassman
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Farewell Love and All Thy Laws Forever, Sir Thomas Wyatt
- No Man Is An Island, John Donne
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(8 February 1911 – 6 October 1979)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)