'Children brush your teeth, ' they said.
We brushed till they rattled in our head.
Back and forth and forth and back
Till a dentist said, 'No not like that!
Up and down and down and up,
Then rinse your toothbrush in a cup.'
We all know that it can't be done,
But no one said so, nary a one.
So we brushed the front teeth up and down.
Then brushed the back ones 'round and 'round,
And no one mentioned the way we'd found
For no one saw the brush go round.
Then along came a dentist with some floss;
Said, 'Everyone's teeth should have a gloss.
And this is the way that you should do.'
So Mommy dear and Daddy too,
Said, 'Pay attention and you pay heed.'
While Gramma said, 'Apples are all they need.'
Apples! Why Grammas sure know best.
We were confused by all the rest.
Out to the store we'll gladly rush,
And if they still want us to brush
Why don't they put apples in the paste?
It sure would improve the taste.
Adeline Foster's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (~Apples by Adeline Foster )
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
Percy Bysshe Shelley
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(August 19, 1902 – May 19, 1971)
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- As I Grew Older, Langston Hughes
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Christmas Trees, Robert Frost
- No Man Is An Island, John Donne
Poem of the Day
- Passion and Risks, UMBELINA FROTA Linhares Pime ..
- Snip!, Lawrence Beck
- Today I learned that I am an orphan - Th.., Dee Jay
- To Glorify Jesus, Tom Zart
- I only scribed dirge but she killed thee.., Sir Toby Moses
- I only scribed a dirge but she killed th.., Sir Toby Moses
- Imitation., Tony Adah
- Stupid Wife, kassem oude
- Suicide Note., Tony Adah
- Everything Nothing, Ruby Honeytip