'Children brush your teeth, ' they said.
We brushed till they rattled in our head.
Back and forth and forth and back
Till a dentist said, 'No not like that!
Up and down and down and up,
Then rinse your toothbrush in a cup.'
We all know that it can't be done,
But no one said so, nary a one.
So we brushed the front teeth up and down.
Then brushed the back ones 'round and 'round,
And no one mentioned the way we'd found
For no one saw the brush go round.
Then along came a dentist with some floss;
Said, 'Everyone's teeth should have a gloss.
And this is the way that you should do.'
So Mommy dear and Daddy too,
Said, 'Pay attention and you pay heed.'
While Gramma said, 'Apples are all they need.'
Apples! Why Grammas sure know best.
We were confused by all the rest.
Out to the store we'll gladly rush,
And if they still want us to brush
Why don't they put apples in the paste?
It sure would improve the taste.
Adeline Foster's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (~Apples by Adeline Foster )
- Royals Baseball Poem, Tom Zart
- Contemporary Indian English Poetry, Bijay Kant Dubey
- A Silver Lining In The Sky., Tony Adah
- Night and Day, Rachel Nichols
- Prayer at 5: 30 a.m. by Robert E. Whelan.., Bill Grace
- स्रोद गोमोरदोँ, Ronjoy Brahma
- The Rules Of The Game., Tony Adah
- Rold Dahls Words Of Wow, Curtlan Popo
- Lovingkindness! ! ! Yes!, Mr. Nobody
- Poetry Consoles, Sandra Feldman
Poem of the Day
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- A Dream Within A Dream, Edgar Allan Poe
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- O Captain! My Captain!, Walt Whitman
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
- Heather Burns
(c. 600 BCE)
(8 February 1911 – 6 October 1979)