'Children brush your teeth, ' they said.
We brushed till they rattled in our head.
Back and forth and forth and back
Till a dentist said, 'No not like that!
Up and down and down and up,
Then rinse your toothbrush in a cup.'
We all know that it can't be done,
But no one said so, nary a one.
So we brushed the front teeth up and down.
Then brushed the back ones 'round and 'round,
And no one mentioned the way we'd found
For no one saw the brush go round.
Then along came a dentist with some floss;
Said, 'Everyone's teeth should have a gloss.
And this is the way that you should do.'
So Mommy dear and Daddy too,
Said, 'Pay attention and you pay heed.'
While Gramma said, 'Apples are all they need.'
Apples! Why Grammas sure know best.
We were confused by all the rest.
Out to the store we'll gladly rush,
And if they still want us to brush
Why don't they put apples in the paste?
It sure would improve the taste.
Adeline Foster's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (~Apples by Adeline Foster )
- Modern emperors and princesses of ice-cr.., Merton Lee
- Ponder, John Shea
- An amber for her soul, Wenjun Liu
- Mourn the Mastodon, G. E. Gorfu
- The Phoenix, G. E. Gorfu
- What Shall I Serve You?, Valsa George
- Be Steady, Be Ready, Cindy Wyatt
- The Chasm, G. E. Gorfu
- I am born on the land, ramesh rai
- John Ashbery: Some Personal Reflections, Ron Price
Poem of the Day
- A Late Walk, Robert Frost
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- A Dream Within A Dream, Edgar Allan Poe
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- As I Grew Older, Langston Hughes
- And Death Shall Have No Dominion, Dylan Thomas
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(22 August 1893 - 7 June 1967)