'Children brush your teeth, ' they said.
We brushed till they rattled in our head.
Back and forth and forth and back
Till a dentist said, 'No not like that!
Up and down and down and up,
Then rinse your toothbrush in a cup.'
We all know that it can't be done,
But no one said so, nary a one.
So we brushed the front teeth up and down.
Then brushed the back ones 'round and 'round,
And no one mentioned the way we'd found
For no one saw the brush go round.
Then along came a dentist with some floss;
Said, 'Everyone's teeth should have a gloss.
And this is the way that you should do.'
So Mommy dear and Daddy too,
Said, 'Pay attention and you pay heed.'
While Gramma said, 'Apples are all they need.'
Apples! Why Grammas sure know best.
We were confused by all the rest.
Out to the store we'll gladly rush,
And if they still want us to brush
Why don't they put apples in the paste?
It sure would improve the taste.
Adeline Foster's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (~Apples by Adeline Foster )
- we are free to follow their rules. Is th.., jannella aryton
- Soul Sighter, michael walkerjohn
- I Don't Want To Be but I want to., Menkato Awomi
- Treasure Island, Akhtar Jawad
- I Love You- -II, Bijay Kant Dubey
- Burkhawalli, Tumhe Kis Karke Paya Ki Tum.., Bijay Kant Dubey
- Do Not Forget, Asit Kumar Sanyal
- Bade Miyan, Cchote Miyan Aur Bukhawalli, Bijay Kant Dubey
- z, Vera Sidhwa
- (A) Bio-Environ-P0em, Nyein Way
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- All the World's a Stage, William Shakespeare
- My Wishes, Yasmin Rubayo
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- If, Rudyard Kipling
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(13 February 1879 - 2 March 1949)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(7 May 1861 – 7 August 1941)
- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow