Another Sad Day
Thursday was another sad day as another life went unfulfilled
A colleague of a friend of mine was waiting for a bus when he was shot and killed.
This man was coming to the hospital to assist with an emergency surgery
When he was murdered right out on the street; part of a bungled robbery.
How sadly ironic that this man, who, like every man, is our brother
Had his life taken away from him on his way to help save another.
It was just another shooting in America Thursday, there are usually 289
What made this one different is he was a friend of a friend of mine.
Otherwise would it have registered? ...Oh, I seriously doubt it
In fact since it happened in Ohio I probably wouldn’t have even heard about it.
We have become accustomed to this type of violence, we no longer ask the question Why?
We know out of the 289 people shot each day 87 of them are going to die.
I’m not sure what is sadder that each day 289 shootings are taking place
Or that the number no longer bothers us as shootings have become commonplace.
Perhaps if every murder every day was splashed across the evening news
That would make a difference, that would finally change our views.
Would it be different if we knew that every 17 minutes in the rise and setting of our sun
Someone in America is killed at the hands of someone with a gun.
When we look at the sheer numbers how can we not weep or shriek
When we do the math and calculate we lose over 600 people every week?
It is sad to think my friend’s friend is gone when he was here one day before
And even sadder to think we can multiply that family’s grief by over 600 more.
This is a problem in our society, the numbers do not lie
It leaves many of us frustrated as for another death we cry.
Until something is done to curb this violence that everyone deplores
I’m afraid today will be as sad or sadder than it was the day before.
Jim Yerman's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Another Sad Day by Jim Yerman )
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(22 March 1941 -)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- A Smile To Remember, Charles Bukowski
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- I Am the Only Being Whose Doom, Emily Jane Brontë
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Alone, Maya Angelou
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
Poem of the Day
- WE WERE ONCE, Jon Alan
- A Mother's Loneliness, Muhammad Farhan Ahmed
- God ia not all macho, kalemeera collins
- My mom, Meenakshi Hariharan
- 2006 Tsunami, Meenakshi Hariharan
- Yes, I am emotional, Meenakshi Hariharan
- Perspective, DEEPAK KUMAR PATTANAYAK
- Let the music play on, Harold R Hunt Sr
- A Girl's Proposal, Meenakshi Hariharan
- Man, Katherina Palomo