Another Sad Day
Thursday was another sad day as another life went unfulfilled
A colleague of a friend of mine was waiting for a bus when he was shot and killed.
This man was coming to the hospital to assist with an emergency surgery
When he was murdered right out on the street; part of a bungled robbery.
How sadly ironic that this man, who, like every man, is our brother
Had his life taken away from him on his way to help save another.
It was just another shooting in America Thursday, there are usually 289
What made this one different is he was a friend of a friend of mine.
Otherwise would it have registered? ...Oh, I seriously doubt it
In fact since it happened in Ohio I probably wouldn’t have even heard about it.
We have become accustomed to this type of violence, we no longer ask the question Why?
We know out of the 289 people shot each day 87 of them are going to die.
I’m not sure what is sadder that each day 289 shootings are taking place
Or that the number no longer bothers us as shootings have become commonplace.
Perhaps if every murder every day was splashed across the evening news
That would make a difference, that would finally change our views.
Would it be different if we knew that every 17 minutes in the rise and setting of our sun
Someone in America is killed at the hands of someone with a gun.
When we look at the sheer numbers how can we not weep or shriek
When we do the math and calculate we lose over 600 people every week?
It is sad to think my friend’s friend is gone when he was here one day before
And even sadder to think we can multiply that family’s grief by over 600 more.
This is a problem in our society, the numbers do not lie
It leaves many of us frustrated as for another death we cry.
Until something is done to curb this violence that everyone deplores
I’m afraid today will be as sad or sadder than it was the day before.
Jim Yerman's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Another Sad Day by Jim Yerman )
- The Real Me, Margaret Alice Second
- kiss me hardy, george albot
- When Will I Wake, Anirudh Rawat
- Silencio en ingles, Donnie Wolff
- Our Lewd Obscene and Vulgar Episodes, Hamid Vitalis
- Life, Anirudh Rawat
- If You Stop Loving Me, Fatima Nusairat
- Rain And The Shadows, Anirudh Rawat
- Beautiful Girl, Anirudh Rawat
- Someday, Ryan Telebwe
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- 1914 V: The Soldier, Rupert Brooke
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- No Man Is An Island, John Donne
- Do Not Stand At My Grave And Weep, Mary Elizabeth Frye
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Gray Room, Wallace Stevens
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1644 - 1694)
- Heather Burns
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)
- Christina Georgina Rossetti
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)