another one about you
I lied through my teeth.
When you asked if you'd been good to me.
I said, "sure, yeah, i always got what i need."
And you sat there wasted, and i pretended to breathe.
You binge on the burn
And purge every word.
(Sometimes you even tell me you love me.)
I think you try to prove her wrong when she says you were never a good dad.
You swear up and down that you gave me what i never had.
You didn't leave the house, didnt dip out when things got bad.
But that doesn't mean you were really there. (I'm sorry i was always so sad.)
I couldn't watch you tonight.
Im sorry i left.
I couldn't watch you watch me.
Couldn't watch you fall asleep.
You look dead to me.
The empty cup next to you smelled of misery.
I miss you sometimes.
Sometimes i pretend we know eachother, and i miss you.
I left you downstairs on the couch, drunk, where you used to be when i was small.
And i suddenly feel so damn small.
Curled up in my pink sheets alone.
Praying God would save the day.
(But i died, because all the sunlight went away.)
Simone Graves's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (another one about you by Simone Graves )
- Vernacular, Mikey Bachman
- The Great Bukowski, Mikey Bachman
- Grenadine, Mikey Bachman
- Keep It Up, Edward Kofi Louis
- Two Golden Stripes, Edward Kofi Louis
- How Deep Is Your Love Towards Me?, Edward Kofi Louis
- Muse, love, joy!, Edward Kofi Louis
- Shibah, Edward Kofi Louis
- Leaves, Clive Blake
- From The Summit, Edward Kofi Louis
Poem of the Day
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- A Thing of Beauty (Endymion), John Keats
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The British, Benjamin Zephaniah
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(31 October 1795 – 23 February 1821)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
- Heather Burns
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(3rd April 19sixty)