I had sensed the presence of someone near
I looked around and there was no one there
Then the feeling got stronger by the minute
As I frantically looked around- then looked to the ground.
There at my feet was the presence that I felt
Of a puppy with cuts and welts.
I could see the abuse as the tears rolled down my eyes
As I started to scream and cry.
“Who can abuse an animal this way?
The one who did this by the law must pay!
I gently picked him up and said: it’ll be alright!
As his tail wagged in delight.
I put him in my car and took him to the nearest vet
He also had a broken leg which the doctor did set.
With antibiotics and pills for pain, yet some of those
Scars will still remain.
I bought from the vet what I would need
Food and medicines on which he would feed.
When I got home, he was fed- then I laid him in his bed.
So he could rest his weary head.
Then he looked up at me with his big brown eyes. And let out a quiet sigh.
With time he started to heal, and his leg he could feel.
The police said they used puppies to train pit bulls to fight
As they were told by the dog fighting ring they busted one night.
I named him survivor because of everything he went through
“Now tell me this: what would you do? ”
louis rams's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Animal Abusers by louis rams )
- दर्द ही सही (Hindi), Rajnish Manga
- तेरा ग़म (Hindi), Rajnish Manga
- On the road of life على طريق الحياة, MOHAMMAD SKATI
- Travel, Hans Raj Sharma
- I Will Enter, Asit Kumar Sanyal
- Unlimited Love, howard simon
- O, Earth! O, Heavens!, Rachel Glassman
- Epithalamium, Rachel Glassman
- Old age in life among us., MOHAMMAD SKATI
- A Sonnet, Rachel Glassman
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Farewell Love and All Thy Laws Forever, Sir Thomas Wyatt
- No Man Is An Island, John Donne
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(8 February 1911 – 6 October 1979)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)