I had sensed the presence of someone near
I looked around and there was no one there
Then the feeling got stronger by the minute
As I frantically looked around- then looked to the ground.
There at my feet was the presence that I felt
Of a puppy with cuts and welts.
I could see the abuse as the tears rolled down my eyes
As I started to scream and cry.
“Who can abuse an animal this way?
The one who did this by the law must pay!
I gently picked him up and said: it’ll be alright!
As his tail wagged in delight.
I put him in my car and took him to the nearest vet
He also had a broken leg which the doctor did set.
With antibiotics and pills for pain, yet some of those
Scars will still remain.
I bought from the vet what I would need
Food and medicines on which he would feed.
When I got home, he was fed- then I laid him in his bed.
So he could rest his weary head.
Then he looked up at me with his big brown eyes. And let out a quiet sigh.
With time he started to heal, and his leg he could feel.
The police said they used puppies to train pit bulls to fight
As they were told by the dog fighting ring they busted one night.
I named him survivor because of everything he went through
“Now tell me this: what would you do? ”
louis rams's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Animal Abusers by louis rams )
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
Edna St. Vincent Millay
(22 February 1892 – 19 October 1950)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(c. 600 BCE)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
- The Saddest Poem, Pablo Neruda
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- Do Not Stand At My Grave And Weep, Mary Elizabeth Frye
- A Dream Within A Dream, Edgar Allan Poe
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Winter Solstice, Jacqueline C Nash
- The Raven, Edgar Allan Poe
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- As I Grew Older, Langston Hughes
Poem of the Day
- Whatever The Outcome, Lawrence S. Pertillar
- I'm Scared Without You, Michael P. McParland
- Stars, Jordan Myrie
- farewell; to the lost love, ademola oluwabusayo
- I'll Always, Michael P. McParland
- Have Faith, Michael P. McParland
- Grace Me, Michael P. McParland
- farewell 'to the winter solders that los.., ademola oluwabusayo
- Soul, Jordan Myrie
- Goodnight Prayer(For You), Michael P. McParland