I had sensed the presence of someone near
I looked around and there was no one there
Then the feeling got stronger by the minute
As I frantically looked around- then looked to the ground.
There at my feet was the presence that I felt
Of a puppy with cuts and welts.
I could see the abuse as the tears rolled down my eyes
As I started to scream and cry.
“Who can abuse an animal this way?
The one who did this by the law must pay!
I gently picked him up and said: it’ll be alright!
As his tail wagged in delight.
I put him in my car and took him to the nearest vet
He also had a broken leg which the doctor did set.
With antibiotics and pills for pain, yet some of those
Scars will still remain.
I bought from the vet what I would need
Food and medicines on which he would feed.
When I got home, he was fed- then I laid him in his bed.
So he could rest his weary head.
Then he looked up at me with his big brown eyes. And let out a quiet sigh.
With time he started to heal, and his leg he could feel.
The police said they used puppies to train pit bulls to fight
As they were told by the dog fighting ring they busted one night.
I named him survivor because of everything he went through
“Now tell me this: what would you do? ”
louis rams's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Animal Abusers by louis rams )
The Road Not Taken
If You Forget Me
Still I Rise
Edgar Allan Poe
I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings
Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening
William Ernest Henley
- My Wondrous Journey (Reincarnation), Ronald Chapman
- My Day Haiku Form 575, Ronald Chapman
- A.Blok, To Yury Verkhovensky - Translati.., Lyudmila Purgina
- A.Blok, To Valery Bryusov - Translation .., Lyudmila Purgina
- A.Blok, To Vladimir Bestuzhev - Translat.., Lyudmila Purgina
- Ice Storm, Ronald Chapman
- A.Pushkin, To a portrait of Zhukovsky - .., Lyudmila Purgina
- A.Pushkin, To Zhukovsky - translation (r.., Lyudmila Purgina
- RUINS, MOHAMMAD SKATI
- A.Blok, To Vyacheslav Ivanov - Translati.., Lyudmila Purgina