James Montgomery (4 November 1771 – 30 April 1854 / Irvine in Ayrshire)
Angels From the Realms of Glory
1. Angels from the realms of glory,
Wing your flight over all the earth;
Ye who sang creation's story
Now proclaim the Messiah's birth.
Come and worship, come and worship
Worship Christ, the newborn King.
2. Shepherds, in the field abiding,
Watching over your flocks by night,
God with us is now residing;1
Yonder shines the infant light: Chorus
3. Sages, leave your contemplations,
Brighter visions beam afar;
Seek the great Desire of nations;
Ye have seen His natal star. Chorus
4. Saints, before the altar bending,
Watching long in hope and fear;
Suddenly the Lord, descending,
In His temple shall appear. Chorus
5. Sinners, wrung with true repentance,
Doomed for guilt to endless pains,
Justice now revokes the sentence,
Mercy calls you, break your chains. Chorus
6.2 Though an infant now we view Him,
He shall fill His Father's throne,
Gather all nations to Him;
Every knee shall then bow down: Chorus
These next verses are later additions, not written by Montgomery:
7.3 Lord of Heaven, we adore Thee,
God the Father, God the Son,
God the Spirit, One in glory,
On the same eternal throne. Chorus
8.4 All creation, join in praising
God, the Father, Spirit, Son,
Evermore your voices raising
To the eternal Three in One. Chorus
Poet Other Poems
- A Cry from South Africa
- A Poor Wayfaring Man of Grief
- A Sweet Landscape
- All ye nations, praise the Lord,
- Almighty Spirit, Now Behold
- An Indian Mother About to Destroy Her Ch...
- Angels From the Realms of Glory
- Father of light, and life, and love!
- For ever with the Lord!
- Hail to the Lord's Anointed
- How precious are thy thoughts of peace
- In the Hour of Trial
- Inscription under the Picture of an Aged...
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.