Frank James Ryan Jr...FjR
' AND YOU MADE JUST LIKE CHURCHILL...
The word is they found you dead last night,
alone.....on the porch of your Eastside digs,
a warm Crème de Cacao 'side a hardbound
of T. Capote's 'Portraits and Observations'.
[ And wasn't that how you'd dreamt it, mate-
raise your soul......and smile forever]?
Ahh, bu' ya' 'ad a God-Good run, chum, ya' did-
(to use your own endearing cliche) ....did ya' not?
Sailing your pin-striped sunfish....'cross the Bay
the low, flaming cherry...dripping from the west,
upon pink liquid salt......as August sunset's must
ridin' eve's silver ripple til Sun became the Moon.
We'd anxiously wait along Saint Lawrence Pier
as you pulled into dock, and quietly took a seat,
telling us tales........as long as the Seaway itself,
painting wide smiles that stretched out our lips;
................................and the time moved so fast.
And, you had a good run............ said so yourself,
the morn Doc Quinn sat you down with grim-face
sent you home with prescription........ for cordials;
...................................God, the time went so fast!
And, i don't think i'll ever forget the stunned faces
when you'd slump down into your wingback chair,
tell them all how life is only worth living 'ALIVE',
...and you made just like Churchill,
bellowing.......at their blank stares,
reaching.......into your vest pocket,
revealing......that solid gold lighter,
flicking......the last of its fire water,
kissing.......the tip of your fat stogie,
endulging its flavour with grandeur
[Oh, yes, my friend, indeed you were priceless to the finish]!
And, we miss you quite much...August comes once again,
because in spite of all the memories, stories and laughter-
The late days of Summer are so long.....and evertoo quiet.
This morning.......while watching the Sun take its place
I saw a crisp-moving sunfish 'cross The Bay, before me-
Not a single pinstripe....what a shame.
_______________ F j R _______________
Frank James Ryan Jr...FjR's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (' AND YOU MADE JUST LIKE CHURCHILL... by Frank James Ryan Jr...FjR )
- Why Poet?, Sandra Feldman
- Man, Dilantha Gunawardana
- Kite, Dilantha Gunawardana
- A Middle-Aged First Kiss (2), Dilantha Gunawardana
- Misplaced Trust, Mr. Spock
- No Looking Back (A Follow-up Poem), Dr John Celes
- losing leaves, Leah Dodd
- Worthy, Galina Italyanskaya
- Often I Am Reminded, Lawrence S. Pertillar
- God Knows, Galina Italyanskaya
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Stafford's Cabin, Edwin Arlington Robinson
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Love After Love, Derek Walcott
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- And Death Shall Have No Dominion, Dylan Thomas
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
- Heather Burns
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)