Frank James Ryan Jr...FjR
' AND YOU MADE JUST LIKE CHURCHILL...
The word is they found you dead last night,
alone.....on the porch of your Eastside digs,
a warm Crème de Cacao 'side a hardbound
of T. Capote's 'Portraits and Observations'.
[ And wasn't that how you'd dreamt it, mate-
raise your soul......and smile forever]?
Ahh, bu' ya' 'ad a God-Good run, chum, ya' did-
(to use your own endearing cliche) ....did ya' not?
Sailing your pin-striped sunfish....'cross the Bay
the low, flaming cherry...dripping from the west,
upon pink liquid salt......as August sunset's must
ridin' eve's silver ripple til Sun became the Moon.
We'd anxiously wait along Saint Lawrence Pier
as you pulled into dock, and quietly took a seat,
telling us tales........as long as the Seaway itself,
painting wide smiles that stretched out our lips;
................................and the time moved so fast.
And, you had a good run............ said so yourself,
the morn Doc Quinn sat you down with grim-face
sent you home with prescription........ for cordials;
...................................God, the time went so fast!
And, i don't think i'll ever forget the stunned faces
when you'd slump down into your wingback chair,
tell them all how life is only worth living 'ALIVE',
...and you made just like Churchill,
bellowing.......at their blank stares,
reaching.......into your vest pocket,
revealing......that solid gold lighter,
flicking......the last of its fire water,
kissing.......the tip of your fat stogie,
endulging its flavour with grandeur
[Oh, yes, my friend, indeed you were priceless to the finish]!
And, we miss you quite much...August comes once again,
because in spite of all the memories, stories and laughter-
The late days of Summer are so long.....and evertoo quiet.
This morning.......while watching the Sun take its place
I saw a crisp-moving sunfish 'cross The Bay, before me-
Not a single pinstripe....what a shame.
_______________ F j R _______________
Frank James Ryan Jr...FjR's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (' AND YOU MADE JUST LIKE CHURCHILL... by Frank James Ryan Jr...FjR )
- Old Drunk's Advice to an Anxious Beau, Donal Mahoney
- TWAILE! ! !, G. AKANJI OLANIYI
- Mother, Tamara Dunn
- Autumn, Mark Hamilton
- J.Bast, I try your face... - translation.., Lyudmila Purgina
- It's Not Nice To Kill Other People, Is It Poetry
- Song To Sri Ramakrishna, Bazi alis Subrata Ray
- Growing Old, heather sweeting
- पापा, sushant jha
- The Merely Imagined Author Writing The L.., mary douglas
Poem of the Day
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- No Man Is An Island, John Donne
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- A Dream Within A Dream, Edgar Allan Poe
- And Death Shall Have No Dominion, Dylan Thomas
- The Three Little Pigs, Roald Dahl
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(13 September 1916 – 23 November 1990)