And the Shrines Came Crumbling!
Desert shrines were canonical
before the Deluge.
The bamboo and fronds of their mouths
waved well in the sun,
and the strength of their arms shunned
the devilish romances of swift gales.
Oh, the heaths of the shrines
warmed the heart of the ancient world,
who brought the Rainbow as a gift! ...
And the shrines were holy
and kept the peace;
befriended the skies; flirted
with the blessings of furry, velvet clouds
and slept and rose with the vagaries of
a wild world.
But one day
the sun went suddenly wild;
the clouds in flamebursts, tore off
their rain garments...
A watershed in the history of
Desert and her shrines.
Cannons boomed in the Deluge,
shook the roots of Desert
with the perdition of Pompeii
lying in one stretch of sleep...
And the shrines came crumbling!
Nkwachukwu Ogbuagu's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (And the Shrines Came Crumbling! by Nkwachukwu Ogbuagu )
- फैमालनि बिदिन्थि, Ronjoy Brahma
- When Whispers Death, Its Cruel Call!, Dr John Celes
- mother, Dr. Ramesh Chandra Mukhopadh ..
- Say You It, Bijay Kant Dubey
- Burning, Spiritwind Wood
- Somebody Often Keeps Asking, Bijay Kant Dubey
- The devotee shows his angry to the God!, Dr.V.K. Kanniappan
- Love-bonding With a Muhammedan Girl (Bil.., Bijay Kant Dubey
- Mera Amanaat Hai Tum, Amitava Sur
- IN both terms, hasmukh amathalal
Poem of the Day
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- O Tell Me The Truth About Love, WH Auden
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- No More Clichés, Octavio Paz
- As I Grew Older, Langston Hughes
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- No Man Is An Island, John Donne
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
- Heather Burns
Ralph Waldo Emerson
(1803 - 1882)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)