...and the princesses of France
The extra house by the sea:
for the train, the car, the colony;
upon the host of princesses in France,
spawned the English idea:
there should be more of them over here.
Sir's becomes Lady,
Dame's stays Mister,
Prince's becomes Princess,
but for a Princess with an affected title,
hers is no Prince,
but one who wishes he had'a missed her,
as he slaves away, or thieves,
for house number 3
by the sea.
douglas scotney's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
And if you've read Bernardo Atxaga's 'Seven Houses in France', you'll sympathise with the Captain for his crimes
Comments about this poem (...and the princesses of France by douglas scotney )
The Road Not Taken
If You Forget Me
Still I Rise
Edgar Allan Poe
Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening
I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings
William Ernest Henley
- my pair of pretty is all grown up, Mandolyn ...
- A Short Poem, Toshie Nohara
- The Lane, Ruth Manning-Sanders
- The gift, John F. McCullagh
- Metamorphosis, Patricia Grantham
- affix me to your infinity, Mandolyn ...
- One Entire Little Puzzle, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Young people, hasmukh amathalal
- The lesson, Asit Kumar Sanyal
- Animal Rights(A Surrogate Hen), U Win Kyi