Andrew David Dalby
and on the Offing
It is from this now passing place,
Where the truth of time and dark of space
Are seen in but a glimpse,
That I can look back And yet look forth
At the world that is to be.
Time is deep.
Its long path trails out into waves
That heaves in peaks and sloughs in troughs
That are these restless eternal mountains that
Collide with savage fury as they scream at the sky.
I Imagine Everest’s descending into a fathomless morass
Yet across this distance these mere vales I do but peek
And so witness a dim reflection of a blister burnt savage sky.
Oh we are but mortals!
a blip on the surface of a pond!
Yet, we leave behind many, many, many, songs.
And on the offing, I gaze beyond myself to see
Those as good as me raise up a glass
And with glad cheer bellow
Oh how happy how happy are we.
Andrew David Dalby's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (and on the Offing by Andrew David Dalby )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
Paul Laurence Dunbar
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Alone, Maya Angelou
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
Poem of the Day
- Fighting a hard fight, Peter Strugnell
- Ballade [I die of thirst beside the foun.., François Villon
- To Rosemounde, Geoffrey Chaucer
- Jo aashiqui me sarvsrestha hota hai, Sumit Rawat
- Amor vincit omnia, Suhail Kakorvi
- Stilling to North, Arthur Sze
- Counting the Days, Leonard Champlin
- Blue or Green, James Galvin
- By Sun Arisen, Saiom Shriver
- From Weapon To Lifegiver, Saiom Shriver