....and many happy returns
He had just celebrated,
with kindred friends and spirits
The guests now gone
and one could hear
the squeaking of his rocking chair
accompanied by birds,
who, in the tropics, sing at night
as well, it set the stage
for melancholy reminiscence
about the crossroads he had reached
where spectators just stood,
observing him with friendly faces
and the benevolence of man.
The specialist had said 'you will be fine',
though using neutral words to intimate
that things were in control,
that modern medicine would win
with weapons like FU, his special chemo.
There was a climate that surrounded
and pampered him, as if to say
'because we like you, Jim, you'll be okay.'
And so, there was no need to fret,
to get some order into his affairs.
He looked again at the physician's card,
with HAPPY BIRTHDAY in fluorescent letters.
He read the text again, but searched,
in vain for what was old tradition:
Returns, the many happy ones!
It was not there, perhaps an oversight?
A shadow crossed his tired face
when from within a voice sang out,
it told him what he knew to be
the truth, that this would be his very last.
Herbert Nehrlich's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (....and many happy returns by Herbert Nehrlich )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(1563 - 1631)
(7 May 1892 – 20 April 1982)
(13 September 1916 – 23 November 1990)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(24 January 1572 - 31 March 1631)
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Television, Roald Dahl
- Christmas Trees, Robert Frost
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- The Gift, Li-Young Lee
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
Poem of the Day
- Water nation, Birat Anupam
- Land of pilgrimage, gajanan mishra
- A Leafless Sunset, Naveed Khalid
- Don't Reach, Robert Ronnow
- You are all here, gajanan mishra
- Blue Wedding Bells Ring, Ken e Hall
- The Battleground, Leong Ming Loong
- An inner core, hasmukh amathalal
- Indeed I am no good so by Rasul Gamzatov, Yuri Starostin
- 1400 grams of wisdom (Merry Christmas), devon da poet