AN ODE TO GREED
AN ODE TO GREED
I have seen the monster of greed burning fire in human hearts.
I have seen ruthless oppressors chained in weed and greed.
I have seen insatiable wants, made many cultures perished.
I have seen powers, upsetting cities not for freedom but greed.
I have seen hungry brothers eating carcass of their brothers.
I have seen voracious rich always in want, lonely in loneliness.
I have learnt from Ameer ul Momineen, Ali ibne –Abi-Talib.
A greedy is like a silkworm wrapped in cocoon, dies of grief;
If he possesses two valleys of gold, he will long for one more;
Greed causes grief; greedy eats, his hunger never gratifies;
Neither he achieves his cravings nor can exceed destined life.
Love his master who said: “In old age, greed becomes young.”
I have seen men on deathbed incognizant of God’s grace:
Empty-handed they came; empty-handed they left arena.
MATLOOB BUKHARI's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (AN ODE TO GREED by MATLOOB BUKHARI )
- God's Kind Of Poetry, Brian Johnston
- soon. chapter 3., Mandolyn ...
- soon. chapter 2, Mandolyn ...
- Through A Puppet's Eyes, Dilantha Gunawardana
- soon., Mandolyn ...
- Dragon King Daughter, Tim caffery
- LONE LADY, vidyut chakraborty
- Psalm 070, Forrest Hainline
- What is said in autobiography, gajanan mishra
- The weird erotica, Marcel Aouizerate
Poem of the Day
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- The Dream Keeper, Langston Hughes
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- No Man Is An Island, John Donne
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
- Heather Burns
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)