AN ODE TO GREED
AN ODE TO GREED
I have seen the monster of greed burning fire in human hearts.
I have seen ruthless oppressors chained in weed and greed.
I have seen insatiable wants, made many cultures perished.
I have seen powers, upsetting cities not for freedom but greed.
I have seen hungry brothers eating carcass of their brothers.
I have seen voracious rich always in want, lonely in loneliness.
I have learnt from Ameer ul Momineen, Ali ibne –Abi-Talib.
A greedy is like a silkworm wrapped in cocoon, dies of grief;
If he possesses two valleys of gold, he will long for one more;
Greed causes grief; greedy eats, his hunger never gratifies;
Neither he achieves his cravings nor can exceed destined life.
Love his master who said: “In old age, greed becomes young.”
I have seen men on deathbed incognizant of God’s grace:
Empty-handed they came; empty-handed they left arena.
MATLOOB BUKHARI's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (AN ODE TO GREED by MATLOOB BUKHARI )
- A jumping bean, Harold R Hunt Sr
- A bean, Harold R Hunt Sr
- There are heroes, Harold R Hunt Sr
- Love counts the hours, Mark Heathcote
- My Deck, Harold R Hunt Sr
- A trip to rotgut, Harold R Hunt Sr
- A recipe for a poem, Harold R Hunt Sr
- America will be back, Harold R Hunt Sr
- I will not be taken down., Harold R Hunt Sr
- Will the crowd cheer, Harold R Hunt Sr
Poem of the Day
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Nothing Gold Can Stay, Robert Frost
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
- Heather Burns
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)