AN ODE TO GREED
AN ODE TO GREED
I have seen the monster of greed burning fire in human hearts.
I have seen ruthless oppressors chained in weed and greed.
I have seen insatiable wants, made many cultures perished.
I have seen powers, upsetting cities not for freedom but greed.
I have seen hungry brothers eating carcass of their brothers.
I have seen voracious rich always in want, lonely in loneliness.
I have learnt from Ameer ul Momineen, Ali ibne –Abi-Talib.
A greedy is like a silkworm wrapped in cocoon, dies of grief;
If he possesses two valleys of gold, he will long for one more;
Greed causes grief; greedy eats, his hunger never gratifies;
Neither he achieves his cravings nor can exceed destined life.
Love his master who said: “In old age, greed becomes young.”
I have seen men on deathbed incognizant of God’s grace:
Empty-handed they came; empty-handed they left arena.
MATLOOB BUKHARI's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (AN ODE TO GREED by MATLOOB BUKHARI )
- because we're both globe-trotters, Mandolyn ...
- Interior Constraint, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Silent voice, DEEPAK KUMAR PATTANAYAK
- The Gentlemen For Me, Poetic Lilly Emery
- The eyes of the stars is the eyes of Sta.., Raymond Sawyer
- Let's Live in Peace, Tirupathi Chandrupatla
- I Dry My Tears, Poetic Lilly Emery
- Valley of an autumn's night, Raluca Mitra
- The stars that touch a rose is the star.., Raymond Sawyer
- *Halloween Stroll, Alice Vedral Rivera
Poem of the Day
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- The Young Housewife, William Carlos Williams
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- The Raven, Edgar Allan Poe
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(1 February 1927)
- Heather Burns
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)