An Occulted Flux
...Nobody knows, not even if they want to...
I stand upon cold pavement.
Black and rough... like my heart.
I kick a nearby stone, it rolls away.
I wish I could do that too...
...Rushing away, the stone rolls...
I look down the metal can by my feet.
rusted and clangy, like bells.
I reach into my pocket, the metal within.
Feels cold, like ice... a never melting ice...
...Rusted and cold, relics of a past...
I smell the air, clear but of an urban nature.
I watch to my left as vehicles pass quickly.
Completely unawares of what will happen next...
...The black cold is coming, he is due...
I stare at my hands, tools... tools that shall have one final.
I lean down and pick up the metal can... I remove the lid.
Raise and pour, its contents spill over me.
Reach into my pocket, grab the metal.
Pull it out, and ignite...
...'My final is here... now for my last trick'...
'Forgive me Father for my sins, I wish absolution.'
Morgan Siegel's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Comments about this poem (An Occulted Flux by Morgan Siegel )
- Written by Somebody on the Window of an .., Robert Burns
- Scroggam, my dearie, Robert Burns
- Epitaph for William Nicol, High School, .., Robert Burns
- Lovely Polly Stewart, Robert Burns
- Rantin, Rovin Robin, Robert Burns
- The Gardener wi' his Paidle, Robert Burns
- Sonnet: Philarete, George Wither
- For Seasonable Weather, George Wither
- The Prayer Of Habakuk, George Wither
- St. Peter's Day, George Wither
Poem of the Day
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- As I Grew Older, Langston Hughes
- Warning, Jenny Joseph
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Away, Melancholy, Stevie Smith
- Alone, Edgar Allan Poe
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
- Heather Burns
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
(2 June 1840 – 11 January 1928)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(16 April 1918 – 27 February 2002)