An Occulted Flux
...Nobody knows, not even if they want to...
I stand upon cold pavement.
Black and rough... like my heart.
I kick a nearby stone, it rolls away.
I wish I could do that too...
...Rushing away, the stone rolls...
I look down the metal can by my feet.
rusted and clangy, like bells.
I reach into my pocket, the metal within.
Feels cold, like ice... a never melting ice...
...Rusted and cold, relics of a past...
I smell the air, clear but of an urban nature.
I watch to my left as vehicles pass quickly.
Completely unawares of what will happen next...
...The black cold is coming, he is due...
I stare at my hands, tools... tools that shall have one final.
I lean down and pick up the metal can... I remove the lid.
Raise and pour, its contents spill over me.
Reach into my pocket, grab the metal.
Pull it out, and ignite...
...'My final is here... now for my last trick'...
'Forgive me Father for my sins, I wish absolution.'
Morgan Siegel's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Comments about this poem (An Occulted Flux by Morgan Siegel )
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
Federico García Lorca
(5 June 1898 – 19 August 1936)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
- The Saddest Poem, Pablo Neruda
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- A Child's Christmas in Wales, Dylan Thomas
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Alone, Edgar Allan Poe
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- A Smile To Remember, Charles Bukowski
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Winter Solstice, Jacqueline C Nash
Poem of the Day
- Retrace, Sunny Chopra
- Diversity-in-Unity*, Tushar Ray
- Nobody Home - 2. Passive Voice, Joseph Archer
- a written poem, animesh sapkota
- Nobody Home - 1. Forever We Roll, Joseph Archer
- Losing Interest, Dawson Walter Smith
- Thirteen Ways To Look at Flowers, Mason Liu
- Suicide, Michael P. McParland
- Man in the Moon, Diana Landry Bardsly
- Indian English Poetry: A Study In Scatte.., Bijay Kant Dubey