Harry 'Breaker' Harbord Morant
An Enthusiastic Sportsman Enthuses
So now the Brands
Seek other lands;
Alack! long ere they reach 'em
A fickle crowd
Will cheer as loud
For godly Governor Beauchamp.
'Twill be Hampden's lot
To be soon forgot,
Now an Earl is his successor;
But the new-chum Earl
Will bring no girl
Like Dorothy Brand - God bless her!
Then let it be known
That all of us own
Since her dad to Australia brought her.
That there has not been,
Nor will there be seen
Another such Governor's daughter.
Yes! we all concur
(In respect to her
Ideas are not dividing)
There's no 'seat,' nor 'hands'
Like Dorothy Brand's
When she goes out a-riding!
And each Australian,
And every alien
Who rides as straight as he 'oughter,'
Has been fain to yield
In the hunting-field
To the prowess of Hampden's daughter.
So, doff your 'cady'
To this young lady!
Hooray-with your hat in your hand; -
Was the girl who could ride
Like the Honorable Dorothy Brand!
Harry 'Breaker' Harbord Morant's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (An Enthusiastic Sportsman Enthuses by Harry 'Breaker' Harbord Morant )
- She Said, Spiritwind Wood
- Torn Pages, Cristhian Aguilera
- Closed Book, Joshua Hillard
- Succumb To Thrombosis, Margaret Alice Second
- To winter, DEEPAK KUMAR PATTANAYAK
- Friends, Mitta Xinindlu
- Self Promotion, Is It Poetry
- Hurt, A K Das Mridul
- Let me be FREE, Soumita Sarkar Ray
- My Beloved Is Beyond Compare, Folayemi Akande
Poem of the Day
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- The Lamplighter, Robert Louis Stevenson
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Do Not Stand At My Grave And Weep, Mary Elizabeth Frye
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- A Dream Within A Dream, Edgar Allan Poe
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)