Harry 'Breaker' Harbord Morant
An Enthusiastic Sportsman Enthuses
So now the Brands
Seek other lands;
Alack! long ere they reach 'em
A fickle crowd
Will cheer as loud
For godly Governor Beauchamp.
'Twill be Hampden's lot
To be soon forgot,
Now an Earl is his successor;
But the new-chum Earl
Will bring no girl
Like Dorothy Brand - God bless her!
Then let it be known
That all of us own
Since her dad to Australia brought her.
That there has not been,
Nor will there be seen
Another such Governor's daughter.
Yes! we all concur
(In respect to her
Ideas are not dividing)
There's no 'seat,' nor 'hands'
Like Dorothy Brand's
When she goes out a-riding!
And each Australian,
And every alien
Who rides as straight as he 'oughter,'
Has been fain to yield
In the hunting-field
To the prowess of Hampden's daughter.
So, doff your 'cady'
To this young lady!
Hooray-with your hat in your hand; -
Was the girl who could ride
Like the Honorable Dorothy Brand!
Harry 'Breaker' Harbord Morant's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (An Enthusiastic Sportsman Enthuses by Harry 'Breaker' Harbord Morant )
- CREDITOR, Donald R Charon
- Tales Of A Wife: Lady Liberty, Onyekachukwu Vincent Onyeche
- Lament Of Many, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Misguided, Donald R Charon
- NATURE'S INFLUENCE, Donald R Charon
- How Was Your Day?, Donald R Charon
- we never did go bowling, Mandolyn ...
- How To Tie The Knot, Foster Teegarden
- hurry husband, shush my alliteration, Mandolyn ...
- Sharp Is The Bite, Donald R Charon
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- 1914 V: The Soldier, Rupert Brooke
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Do Not Stand At My Grave And Weep, Mary Elizabeth Frye
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
- Heather Burns
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(August 19, 1902 – May 19, 1971)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)