An Elegy On The Glory Of Her Sex, Mrs Mary Blaize
Good people all, with one accord
Lament for Madam Blaize,
Who never wanted a good word,—
From those who spoke her praise.
The needy seldom passed her door,
And always found her kind;
She freely lent to all the poor,—
Who left a pledge behind.
She strove the neighbourhood to please
With manners wondrous winning;
And never followed wicked ways,—
Unless when she was sinning.
At church, in silks and satins new,
With hoop of monstrous size,
She never slumbered in her pew,—
But when she shut her eyes.
Her love was sought, I do aver,
By twenty beaux and more;
The king himself has followed her,—
When she has walked before.
But now her wealth and finery fled,
Her hangers-on cut short all;
The doctors found, when she was dead,—
Her last disorder mortal.
Let us lament in sorrow sore,
For Kent Street well may say
That had she lived a twelvemonth more,—
She had not died today.
Oliver Goldsmith's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (An Elegy On The Glory Of Her Sex, Mrs Mary Blaize by Oliver Goldsmith )
- Where You Are Planted, Evie Shockley
- We are not in favor of, gajanan mishra
- Afterward, Lawrence Beck
- Fourth's Corner, michael walkerjohn
- O stop, little, lovely rose, Saheb Mohapatra
- Diwali for the dead, Saheb Mohapatra
- DIWALI (Never have I seen.....), Saheb Mohapatra
- Waiting On The Mayflower, Evie Shockley
- All the time, Cee Bea
- Friend in the Desert, michael walkerjohn
Poem of the Day
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- All the World's a Stage, William Shakespeare
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- A Drinking Song, William Butler Yeats
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
- Heather Burns
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(1886 - 1967)