Adeeb Kamal Ad-Deen
An Attempt at Magic
An Attempt at Magic
"I come from Aad and Thamuud .
I can give you the secret of lust."
The fourth said :
"I come from China .
I can make the dream a portal to certainty."
Hurry up,hurry up .
Deprivation has buried me
Like an earthquake buried an army
Of one thousand knights .
On the next day
I sat dressed in gold clothes.
Under my foot was a little cloud,
And a woman sweeter than honey
With fingers that could make a dream
Any dream - a portal to certainty.
But when the sun
Got to the middle of the sky,
The threads of gold melted
So my clothes looked shabby.
And the little cloud melted
So my foot looked ugly.
And the honey woman melted
So my lips tasted as bitter as poison.
The palm of the dream melted
And changed into skeleton's fingers
So I cried :
My tears, my brothers,
And my friends,
Where are you ?
Where are your secrets and signals(?
The four magicians hushed.
But the fourth one pitied my heart,
Broken like a blind man's mirror, and said:
"Do you want stability rather than instability'?
(Yes) I said.
"There would be no way to reach this state,
Unless you touch something of our souls".
The three magicians nodded.
Then, the first one rose stark naked
And said "Tormented man!
We would give you our letters.
Deprived man!We would teach you our dots,
But we would be afraid
If you learned them,
You would mock at gold
And gold clothes,
You would mock at the countries,
At the breasts and legs,
At the dreams.
Then, you would become like us
And naked forever."
Adeeb Kamal Ad-Deen's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (An Attempt at Magic by Adeeb Kamal Ad-Deen )
- LOSS....MANY, Soumita Sarkar Ray
- Alchemies, Aleda Shirley
- LAST SONG, Soumita Sarkar Ray
- ETERNAL LOVE, Soumita Sarkar Ray
- April 15th, Aleda Shirley
- I can FOCUS, Soumita Sarkar Ray
- Defining myself, Soumita Sarkar Ray
- A doggerel coin!, Sreeram Vasudevan
- THE COME BACK., Terry Collett
- The smell that brought back memories, Sneha R.V
Poem of the Day
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Home And Love, Robert William Service
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- No Man Is An Island, John Donne
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- All the World's a Stage, William Shakespeare
- Trees, Joyce Kilmer
(7 May 1861 – 7 August 1941)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(16 April 1918 – 27 February 2002)
- Heather Burns
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)