Adeeb Kamal Ad-Deen
An Attempt at Luck
I sent messages with a sharp tongue
And intensive reproach:
'You are the one who disordered my childhood
And crushed my youth
And confused my old age'.
Luck laughed, saying:
I will make of your death
An occasion full of joy and candles!'
When the unlucky man learnt to utter
His teeth came out and his words vanished!
When he learnt to walk, the roads vanished!
When he learnt to write
The word became no longer meaningful nor semi- meaningful!
When he learnt to fly, the sky disappeared!
On the ladder of luck
When I go a step up, the step collapses
And the ladder seems damned deep.
The loaf is no longer a dream
It has become a love poem
Only read in the presence of kings.
With a little ill-luck
I love you,
You have a lot of names and dates.
With much luck
You replied to my poems with stabs.
The difference between the loaf and the luck is
As weak as the spider's web.
The difference between the cloud
And childhood is nothing
For Al-Azeez's* wife stole their whiteness
And Joseph's brothers sold it for a few Dirhams.
The difference between us is nothing
Since we come from the same nothingness.
'You will be happy when you die.'
That was luck's will.
I accepted it and smiled.
Then I laughed a little
And I giggled like a crazy one at last.
* Al-Azeez was the ruler of Egypt at the time of the Pharaoh.
Adeeb Kamal Ad-Deen's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (An Attempt at Luck by Adeeb Kamal Ad-Deen )
- Crushed Cookies...... [HUMOR; SHORT; re.., Bri Edwards
- Where Did Mommy Go, Stephen Morris Jr
- me sisters dog, lee fones
- On Cold Grey Mountain, John Martinez
- I KNEW LOVE, SHARON YAKOWA
- I'm Still Here, Stephen Morris Jr
- tramp, lee fones
- Leaves On The Grass, Poetic Lilly Emery
- Thought Process, Mitta Xinindlu
- Kind Santa, lee fones
Poem of the Day
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- No Man Is An Island, John Donne
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Oh, the places you'll go!, Adens Kamwi
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Alone, Maya Angelou
- O Captain! My Captain!, Walt Whitman
- Ode To A Nightingale, John Keats
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(31 October 1795 – 23 February 1821)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)