Adeeb Kamal Ad-Deen
An Attempt at Hamlet
A cloud of innocence,
Tell me; how did the whole world
Accumulate in your body,
Then get lost in water?
Tell me; how was my father murdered?
How did my mother release the snake
At my childhood's birds?
How did the ghost lead me to the ghost?
And death to the flood?
Your moony body is my age's elegy.
Thus let me, like an orphan child
Whose feast garment is stolen,
Cry at you.
Let me explore your fresh body
To know the secret of madness and delirium.
Let me explore your forehead
To know the secret of rain.
Let me explore your fingers.
To know the secret of joy
Let me explore your slim belly
To know the secret of childhood and assurance.
Your mythical beauty tortured me every day
Until it led me to the exiles of words.
Your saliva delighted me
As a magician who gets delighted with the thunderbolt.
Thus hug me
Before the last drop of my blood
Will pass away like you.
Before the water eats me.
Ophelia extended her hands to me.
But once I kissed her luxuriant fingers,
Then they turned to daggers and insults.
Once I kissed her charming breast
Then the devils and elfs came out
And surrounded me all around.
Once I kissed her lips,
Then the snake appeared to me
And made me drink the poison
In order to die... forever.
Adeeb Kamal Ad-Deen's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (An Attempt at Hamlet by Adeeb Kamal Ad-Deen )
- 'My Persuasion' Over 'Her Coyness'., Prabhat Priyadarshi
- rain, Erin Daly
- I Hope, Michael McParland
- Holding Fatima in the Light, Mohja Kahf
- Manifesto for the Chaste Wanton, Mohja Kahf
- Doves, Mohja Kahf
- Return of the Friend, Mohja Kahf
- On The Run In The Dream, Albert Martin
- My Grandmother Washes Her Feet in the Si.., Mohja Kahf
- Joan Rivers, Ima Ryma
Poem of the Day
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- City That Does Not Sleep, Federico García Lorca
- Do Not Stand At My Grave And Weep, Mary Elizabeth Frye
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- He Wishes For The Cloths Of Heaven, William Butler Yeats
- Clarence Michael James Stanislaus Dennis
- Laurence Overmire
(24 June 1842 - 26 December 1913)
(10 December 1824 – 18 September 1905)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
Edgar Lee Masters
(23 August 1868 – 5 March 1950)
Hans Christian Andersen
(2 April 1805 – 4 August 1875)
- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
(26 November 1731 – 25 April 1800)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)