They stand in their uniforms straight and tall,
They are family members one and all.
They put on the uniforms, not for money, fame, or glory
But for the untold story.
The story of wanting to be free to raise their families.
A story of love, emotion, and religious devotion.
They are willing to take the stand, and become the sacrificial lamb.
They are the AMERICAN soldiers who believe in liberty
To be able to express yourself no matter what it may be.
They come from the farmlands, the mountains, the big cities
And the small towns, where every soldier imaginable can be found.
Just read the story of Sergeant ALVIN YORK who in the
First World War he had fought.
He was a conscientious objector who came from the upper
Farmlands of TENNESSEE – didn’t believe in war but wanted to be free.
They told him about the founding of AMERICA and what they had gone thru
And to make a decision of what he wanted to do.
He sat on the mountaintop staring across the land
Knowing he had to make a decision – he had to take a stand.
With the thought of the bible s verse “thou shall not kill “
And the other thought saying “freedom is not free”
This has been going on throughout history.
He and nine others captured more prisoners than they dared to count
This is what AMERICA is all about.
louis rams's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (American Soldiers by louis rams )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
William Carlos Williams
(17 September 1883 – 4 March 1963)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
Rainer Maria Rilke
(4 December 1875 – 29 December 1926)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(August 19, 1902 – May 19, 1971)
(January 6, 1883 – April 10, 1931)
Ahmed Nadeem Qasmi
(20 November 1916 - 10 July 2006)
- A Dream Within A Dream, Edgar Allan Poe
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Nothing Gold Can Stay, Robert Frost
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- No Man Is An Island, John Donne
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- The Boy Who Laughed At Santa Claus, Ogden Nash
Poem of the Day
- Alone, Samantha Gronn
- David, Casey Renee Kiser
- She Stuck Her Butt Out At Me..., wanderer sailor
- Nine Views of the Huangshan, Paul Hartal
- Trying to Say Goodbye, Bijay Kant Dubey
- Autumn, Leong Ming Loong
- Colors, Tom Squires
- वक्त का तकाजा है vakt ka takaaja hai, hasmukh amathalal
- A Lesson Learnt, Leong Ming Loong
- Pleasantries (Ghazal), Akhtar Jawad