Beside a river, deeply cloaked,
a Ceiba's crooked elbow hosts
profuse cascading mistletoe
which overhangs blackwater flow,
where small fish slip like silver ghosts
and darker things reside below.
Petite, sleek marbled hatchetfish
have trenchant keels and clear, curved fins
for flying over tangled roots
when predators are in pursuit.
Between frenetic courtship spins
they gorge on oily mistletoe fruit.
Red lichen splatters shadowed green.
A kingfisher blends a jungle sheen
within a low-slung palm unseen.
A streamlined head, chic spoiler crest,
brown eyes, white collar, chestnut breast;
he watches from the mezzanine.
The darting hatchetfish play dead.
They float like fallen, blighted leaves.
The wily kingfisher's not deceived,
but dives and spears a cichlid's head.
Around a drifting carmine thread,
the dainty hatchets frisk, reprieved.
The Amazon kingfisher folds his wings.
Then exercising throat and wit,
although his beak is full, he sings;
the tuneful gripe of an unoiled swing.
He gulps the cichlid whole - it fits!
then meditates in sated bliss.
Beneath lush mistletoe, hatchets kiss.
Diane Hine's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Amazonian Idyll by Diane Hine )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(2 November 1994)
Alfred Lord Tennyson
(6 August 1809 – 6 October 1892)
(13 September 1916 – 23 November 1990)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
Poem of the Day
- चादंण रात, Lyrics Swapnild Chatge
- The Scheme, Tony Adah
- The Worry, Leong Ming Loong
- जो अब तन्हा ही निकला तो, ज़माना साथ चलता है, Abhishek Omprakash Mishra
- ** अबोल मी **, Lyrics Swapnild Chatge
- जो देखू आज घर आँगन तो माँ की याद आती है., Abhishek Omprakash Mishra
- तुम्हारे इश्क में जीवन कहाँ, कैसे, गुज़ार.., Abhishek Omprakash Mishra
- यहाँ हर सुख का साथी है यहाँ हर दुःख कंवा.., Abhishek Omprakash Mishra
- यहाँ मेहमान तुम भी हो, यहाँ मेहमान हम भी.., Abhishek Omprakash Mishra
- ** कविता ही प्रेमाची **, Lyrics Swapnild Chatge