In the painting, I'm seated in a shield,
coming home in it up a shadowy river.
It is a small metal boat lined in eggshell
and my hands grip the gunwale rims. I'm
a composite bow, tensioning the whole boat,
steering it with my gaze. No oars, no engine,
no sails. I'm propelling the little craft with speech.
The faded rings around the loose bulk shirt
are of five lines each, a musical lineation
and the shirt is apple-red, soaking in salt birth-sheen
more liquid than the river. My cap is a teal mask
pushed back so far that I can pretend it is headgear.
In the middle of the river are cobweb cassowary trees
of the South Pacific, and on the far shore rise
dark hills of the temperate zone. To these, at this
moment in the painting's growth, my course is slant
but my eye is on them. To relax, to speak European.
Les Murray's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Amanda's Painting by Les Murray )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
- Christmas Trees, Robert Frost
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Mother to Son, Langston Hughes
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Alone, Edgar Allan Poe
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
Poem of the Day
- dancing politics, ABAYOMI OGUNNIYI
- Always Open, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Right choice, hasmukh amathalal
- Marriage and morals., Gangadharan nair Pulingat..
- For her age, hasmukh amathalal
- Old Hopes and New Shoes, Charles Hancock
- Pressure Of Racism, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Activities of life., Gangadharan nair Pulingat..
- Wanderer at the hills of freedom, ABAYOMI OGUNNIYI
- Expressing Self, RoseAnn V. Shawiak