Sir John Carr
Am Indian Massacre-Song
See, the waves clasp the Sun, as he sinks from our sight,
And Despair sullen rides on the wings of the night;
Lo! he comes, and reproaches our arms with delay,-
Then arise, let us go where Revenge points the way!
In the deed should we fall, (since who'll e'er breathe a slave?)
Our free souls shall repose in the realms of the brave;
In the song we shall live, and fresh heroes inspire,
While the son shall exult in the fate of his sire.
Then know, ye white race! ye too long shake the rod;
By this arm ye shall soon be dismiss'd to your God!
Then demand, if he bade ye torment, why he gave
All the soul of a man to the breast of a slave?
Then prepare; know our hatchets atone for our wrong,
And our hearts, like our hatchets, are stubborn and strong:
Sleep your last! ye no more shall the morning survey,
Nor shall sorrow arise with the break of the day.
Yes, remember the lashes that pierc'd thro' our flesh!
See the wounds of our fathers; they open afresh!
In the winds, hark! blue Avrin attends to our call;
I, your chief, will be first in your glories, or fall!
Sir John Carr's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Am Indian Massacre-Song by Sir John Carr )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Christmas Trees, Robert Frost
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Ring Out , Wild Bells, Alfred Lord Tennyson
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
Poem of the Day
- Religion, gajanan mishra
- gentle thief, Bull Hawking
- Xmas comes, Kumarmani Mahakul
- Surroundings-42, Indira Renganathan
- Courage, Leong Ming Loong
- Thieves, gajanan mishra
- don't mind, Bull Hawking
- Heretic and Deviant, Col Muhamad Khalid Khan
- JCB academic, is my fame, lee fones
- As because, gajanan mishra