It's the Alzheimer's unit.
I'm not a student.
I'm the teacher.
I'm the believer.
There's a special way to reach Alzheimer's patients.
Sometimes, you have to have a lot of patience.
They've been through a lot of changes.
Their lives change drastically.
They're not in a familiar place.
For life's changes,
There's nothing to remind them of their home.
They're locked in a place with strangers.
Some automatically, think they're in danger.
Locked in a chamber,
They may see you as the enemy.
Their brain chemically,
It may be something as simple as a leaf,
To bring them back to the present.
It could be a familiar song.
It could be and old verse in which they found comfort.
But, there is usually something, if you work hard enough that you can reach them.
Before they are too, far gone,
Alzheimer's patients lose their short time memory first.
They may have a thirst.
And forget how to swallow.
Some start feeling hollow.
They will try to speak,
But forget how to speak.
It can be very sad.
They get mad.
Struggling for words,
But nothing comes out, but a slight groan.
Needing help getting dressed,
They have their long time memory for years.
It's the simple things, they forget first.
The things we just expect them to know.
Like zipping their pants, combing their hair.
Then, they will shock you by balancing their own checkbook.
They may forget how to cook.
They may give you and awkward look.
Trying to figure out who you are,
You could be a sister, or daughter, husband or son.
She doesn't remember any of you.
She needs special attention, and lots of love.
She's an Alzheimer's patient.
Patricia Kelley's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Comments about this poem (Alzheimer's Patient by Patricia Kelley )
- Dreams and Memories, Poetic Lilly Emery
- An die Männer Englands, Wolfgang Steinmann
- Ending Deficiencies, Lawrence S. Pertillar
- Watching The Snow fall, Poetic Lilly Emery
- Read me a page, george albot
- My Pitiful Life, Poetic Lilly Emery
- Once, Hasan Haskovic
- Your Lips Your Hands Your Mouth I Miss T.., Is It Poetry
- My Day, Waltz For Zizi
- Pizza Again, Harold R Hunt Sr
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- No Man Is An Island, John Donne
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- A Dream Within A Dream, Edgar Allan Poe
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(22 August 1893 - 7 June 1967)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)