It's the Alzheimer's unit.
I'm not a student.
I'm the teacher.
I'm the believer.
There's a special way to reach Alzheimer's patients.
Sometimes, you have to have a lot of patience.
They've been through a lot of changes.
Their lives change drastically.
They're not in a familiar place.
For life's changes,
There's nothing to remind them of their home.
They're locked in a place with strangers.
Some automatically, think they're in danger.
Locked in a chamber,
They may see you as the enemy.
Their brain chemically,
It may be something as simple as a leaf,
To bring them back to the present.
It could be a familiar song.
It could be and old verse in which they found comfort.
But, there is usually something, if you work hard enough that you can reach them.
Before they are too, far gone,
Alzheimer's patients lose their short time memory first.
They may have a thirst.
And forget how to swallow.
Some start feeling hollow.
They will try to speak,
But forget how to speak.
It can be very sad.
They get mad.
Struggling for words,
But nothing comes out, but a slight groan.
Needing help getting dressed,
They have their long time memory for years.
It's the simple things, they forget first.
The things we just expect them to know.
Like zipping their pants, combing their hair.
Then, they will shock you by balancing their own checkbook.
They may forget how to cook.
They may give you and awkward look.
Trying to figure out who you are,
You could be a sister, or daughter, husband or son.
She doesn't remember any of you.
She needs special attention, and lots of love.
She's an Alzheimer's patient.
Patricia Kelley's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Comments about this poem (Alzheimer's Patient by Patricia Kelley )
- When my love states that she is futile..., Saheb Mohapatra
- Sink and feel, SALINI NAIR
- Birthday Years, Greta Bellamacina
- When Hope Becomes A Prayer, Savita Tyagi
- So the Ancients say...., Savita Tyagi
- Thank and wish, hasmukh amathalal
- Goodbye The Day, Pijush Biswas
- ~Oneness ~, Aftab Alam
- Random Thought lX, Savita Tyagi
- The Little Robin Flew, Rohan Nath
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- America the Beautiful, Katharine Lee Bates
- Talking Turkeys!, Benjamin Zephaniah
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- All the World's a Stage, William Shakespeare
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(13 September 1916 – 23 November 1990)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)
- Heather Burns
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)