Alone, Looking for Blossoms Along the River
The sorrow of riverside blossoms inexplicable,
And nowhere to complain -- I've gone half crazy.
I look up our southern neighbor. But my friend in wine
Gone ten days drinking. I find only an empty bed.
A thick frenzy of blossoms shrouding the riverside,
I stroll, listing dangerously, in full fear of spring.
Poems, wine -- even this profusely driven, I endure.
Arrangements for this old, white-haired man can wait.
A deep river, two or three houses in bamboo quiet,
And such goings on: red blossoms glaring with white!
Among spring's vociferous glories, I too have my place:
With a lovely wine, bidding life's affairs bon voyage.
Looking east to Shao, its smoke filled with blossoms,
I admire that stately Po-hua wineshop even more.
To empty golden wine cups, calling such beautiful
Dancing girls to embroidered mats -- who could bear it?
East of the river, before Abbot Huang's grave,
Spring is a frail splendor among gentle breezes.
In this crush of peach blossoms opening ownerless,
Shall I treasure light reds, or treasure them dark?
At Madame Huang's house, blossoms fill the paths:
Thousands, tens of thousands haul the branches down.
And butterflies linger playfully -- an unbroken
Dance floating to songs orioles sing at their ease.
I don't so love blossoms I want to die. I'm afraid,
Once they are gone, of old age still more impetuous.
And they scatter gladly, by the branchful. Let's talk
Things over, little buds ---open delicately, sparingly.
Du Fu's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Alone, Looking for Blossoms Along the River by Du Fu )
- Sonnet: Life Looks Strange, Dr John Celes
- The Real Me, Margaret Alice Second
- kiss me hardy, george albot
- When Will I Wake, Anirudh Rawat
- Silencio en ingles, Donnie Wolff
- Our Lewd Obscene and Vulgar Episodes, Hamid Vitalis
- Life, Anirudh Rawat
- If You Stop Loving Me, Fatima Nusairat
- Rain And The Shadows, Anirudh Rawat
- Beautiful Girl, Anirudh Rawat
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- 1914 V: The Soldier, Rupert Brooke
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- No Man Is An Island, John Donne
- Do Not Stand At My Grave And Weep, Mary Elizabeth Frye
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Gray Room, Wallace Stevens
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1644 - 1694)
- Heather Burns
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)
- Christina Georgina Rossetti
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)