Cold rains wet and weary... seeping through the sky,
Spectres pass ’long side me... bent, with collars high,
My visions are invisible and no one sees me cry.
Minstrels of destruction... rapping at my door,
Naked anvils aching... heavy hammers roar,
Their monodies of emptiness pulse, bleeding through the floor.
House of cards collapsing... sagging walls of wax,
Deuces in dissention... Aces slip through cracks,
The Joker’s lost and lumbers by, alone, along the tracks.
Steeple steps dismantled... muted bells below,
Ruins quake and tremble... freezing in the snow,
Their pains implode within my brain while pale winds cruelly blow.
Prophets tumble temples... residues of tea
Highways of no entrance... paths of destiny,
The phantoms in my nightmare dreams tell tales of roaming free.
Foghorns moaning lonely... waves awash in sound
Silver schooner sinking... swirling round and round,
At midnight’s stroke, the mainsail broke, and driftwood drifts aground.
Silent seas misshapen... moonbeams painted rum,
Teaspoons sifting ashes... fingers cold and numb
An incandescent candlestick impales the sinking sun.
Smothered fires smoking... oceans filled with ice,
Lightning lashing windows... blades from paradise,
Like tongues of limpid laughter licking wounds of sacrifice.
Flowing fields of flowers... silent harmony,
Rolling river reveries... washing to the sea
My love, she was my daylight bliss, she once belonged to me.
Terry O'Leary's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Alone Again by Terry O'Leary )
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(30 December 1865 – 18 January 1936)
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Lament (O how all things are far removed), Rainer Maria Rilke
Poem of the Day
- The Girl and her Dragon, Kevin Maroney
- What is Life, Andrea Cortesi
- UFC 183: Watch Anderson Silva vs Nick Di.., Renz Barns
- The Dark Side, Sandra Feldman
- Chasing Constellations, Russell Nero
- Aroma, Muhammad Farhan Ahmed
- Illusion, Noah Body
- Leprae, Brave Hearts
- In the Green are Emotions, Rohit Sapra
- Heart Beat Outpaced xx xxx xx Impro.., Lee Mack