Cold rains wet and weary... seeping through the sky,
Spectres pass ’long side me... bent, with collars high,
My visions are invisible and no one sees me cry.
Minstrels of destruction... rapping at my door,
Naked anvils aching... heavy hammers roar,
Their monodies of emptiness pulse, bleeding through the floor.
House of cards collapsing... sagging walls of wax,
Deuces in dissention... Aces slip through cracks,
The Joker’s lost and lumbers by, alone, along the tracks.
Steeple steps dismantled... muted bells below,
Ruins quake and tremble... freezing in the snow,
Their pains implode within my brain while pale winds cruelly blow.
Prophets tumble temples... residues of tea
Highways of no entrance... paths of destiny,
The phantoms in my nightmare dreams tell tales of roaming free.
Foghorns moaning lonely... waves awash in sound
Silver schooner sinking... swirling round and round,
At midnight’s stroke, the mainsail broke, and driftwood drifts aground.
Silent seas misshapen... moonbeams painted rum,
Teaspoons sifting ashes... fingers cold and numb
An incandescent candlestick impales the sinking sun.
Smothered fires smoking... oceans filled with ice,
Lightning lashing windows... blades from paradise,
Like tongues of limpid laughter licking wounds of sacrifice.
Flowing fields of flowers... silent harmony,
Rolling river reveries... washing to the sea
My love, she was my daylight bliss, she once belonged to me.
Terry O'Leary's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Alone Again by Terry O'Leary )
- - My Poems Introduction The Romantic Poe.., Ali Sabry
- Thomas Shadwell (an intro), Yohan Confectioner
- - My Last Letter To My Lovely Beauty Lad.., Ali Sabry
- - Yesterday I Was Walking Alone On The R.., Ali Sabry
- - To My Dear Expensive-, Ali Sabry
- 'My Dear', Ali Sabry
- - -My Dear- -, Ali Sabry
- - I Love You With All My Heart O My Fair.., Ali Sabry
- - I Love You Blind-, Ali Sabry
- - -I Have Chosen You From Among The Beau.., Ali Sabry
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- A Woman's Last Word, Robert Browning
- Footsteps of Angels, Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Farewell, Anne Brontë
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
- Heather Burns
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
Mewlana Jalaluddin Rumi
(1207 - 1273)
(7 May 1861 – 7 August 1941)
(24 January 1572 - 31 March 1631)