Cold rains wet and weary... seeping through the sky,
Spectres pass ’long side me... bent, with collars high,
My visions are invisible and no one sees me cry.
Minstrels of destruction... rapping at my door,
Naked anvils aching... heavy hammers roar,
Their monodies of emptiness pulse, bleeding through the floor.
House of cards collapsing... sagging walls of wax,
Deuces in dissention... Aces slip through cracks,
The Joker’s lost and lumbers by, alone, along the tracks.
Steeple steps dismantled... muted bells below,
Ruins quake and tremble... freezing in the snow,
Their pains implode within my brain while pale winds cruelly blow.
Prophets tumble temples... residues of tea
Highways of no entrance... paths of destiny,
The phantoms in my nightmare dreams tell tales of roaming free.
Foghorns moaning lonely... waves awash in sound
Silver schooner sinking... swirling round and round,
At midnight’s stroke, the mainsail broke, and driftwood drifts aground.
Silent seas misshapen... moonbeams painted rum,
Teaspoons sifting ashes... fingers cold and numb
An incandescent candlestick impales the sinking sun.
Smothered fires smoking... oceans filled with ice,
Lightning lashing windows... blades from paradise,
Like tongues of limpid laughter licking wounds of sacrifice.
Flowing fields of flowers... silent harmony,
Rolling river reveries... washing to the sea
My love, she was my daylight bliss, she once belonged to me.
Terry O'Leary's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Alone Again by Terry O'Leary )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
Mewlana Jalaluddin Rumi
(1207 - 1273)
Percy Bysshe Shelley
(24 January 1572 - 31 March 1631)
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Do Not Stand At My Grave And Weep, Mary Elizabeth Frye
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- A Smile To Remember, Charles Bukowski
- A Child's Christmas in Wales, Dylan Thomas
- Winter Solstice, Jacqueline C Nash
- No Man Is An Island, John Donne
- Christmas Trees, Robert Frost
Poem of the Day
- Another Wish, Michael P. McParland
- Cop Killers and Killer Cops, Is It Poetry
- Another Night (Off To Sleep), Michael P. McParland
- Another Day, Michael P. McParland
- Hands on Hips, Mae AC.
- Hands in Pockets, Mae AC.
- Another Christmas, Michael P. McParland
- Anonymous Girl, Michael P. McParland
- An Unbreakable Bond, Michael P. McParland
- An Awesome Friend (For Electric Lady), Michael P. McParland