Three years tonight since alone I sat
By a new-made grave all desolate
With the night dews o'er me falling ;
And I cried in my grief, 'Oh God !-My God !
What can it avail that beneath this sod
My babe lies deaf to my calling.'
The watchman cried on his round, 'All's well !'
But my heart at his mocking did beat and swell
With dread of a childless morrow,
But to-night he again is on his round
And his words to me have a sooth'ng sound,
For the years have brought me sorrow.
And have tanght me much 'twas hard to know
And made me reap where I did not sow,
And along strange paths have brought me.
They have shown me, too, in their painful round
That my girl is safe in the silent ground,
And this, too, faith hath taught me,
That I'll see her again in a radiant throng
Unsoiled by sin, unseared by wrong,
Amen! to the watchman's cry to-night
My heart re-echoes ' All's well : all's right.'
Louisa Lawson's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (All's Well by Louisa Lawson )
- Forever Purpurating Lavender, Stephen Warren Williams
- No Reason To Rush, Kewayne Wadley
- For To Be An Indian English Poet, An Eng.., Bijay Kant Dubey
- A Bag of Old Photographs, Mikey Bachman
- Surrealistic Bagging, michael walkerjohn
- What at a Sunrise Ends, michael walkerjohn
- Les Collaborations de Vie, michael walkerjohn
- Only movement, hasmukh amathalal
- Thoughtful Succour, michael walkerjohn
- Wrapped In Silk, michael walkerjohn
Poem of the Day
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- An Enigma, Edgar Allan Poe
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- A Dream Within A Dream, Edgar Allan Poe
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- All the World's a Stage, William Shakespeare
- A Character, William Wordsworth
- And Death Shall Have No Dominion, Dylan Thomas
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
- Heather Burns
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)