Three years tonight since alone I sat
By a new-made grave all desolate
With the night dews o'er me falling ;
And I cried in my grief, 'Oh God !-My God !
What can it avail that beneath this sod
My babe lies deaf to my calling.'
The watchman cried on his round, 'All's well !'
But my heart at his mocking did beat and swell
With dread of a childless morrow,
But to-night he again is on his round
And his words to me have a sooth'ng sound,
For the years have brought me sorrow.
And have tanght me much 'twas hard to know
And made me reap where I did not sow,
And along strange paths have brought me.
They have shown me, too, in their painful round
That my girl is safe in the silent ground,
And this, too, faith hath taught me,
That I'll see her again in a radiant throng
Unsoiled by sin, unseared by wrong,
Amen! to the watchman's cry to-night
My heart re-echoes ' All's well : all's right.'
Louisa Lawson's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (All's Well by Louisa Lawson )
- Haiku- Obsession, DEEPAK KUMAR PATTANAYAK
- Playing With Fire, Evie Shockley
- Doing Time, Betsy Sholl
- ordeal, dr.k.g.balakrishnan kandangath
- Innovative way, hasmukh amathalal
- Haiku- Connotation, DEEPAK KUMAR PATTANAYAK
- Silent Witness, James coupland
- A happy Farmer Family, Nishchal Ningleku
- Yes and no two words, gajanan mishra
- sister forever, yolandey breedt
Poem of the Day
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- All the World's a Stage, William Shakespeare
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- A Drinking Song, William Butler Yeats
- If, Rudyard Kipling
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
- Heather Burns
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(30 October 1885 – 1 November 1972)
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)