Three years tonight since alone I sat
By a new-made grave all desolate
With the night dews o'er me falling ;
And I cried in my grief, 'Oh God !-My God !
What can it avail that beneath this sod
My babe lies deaf to my calling.'
The watchman cried on his round, 'All's well !'
But my heart at his mocking did beat and swell
With dread of a childless morrow,
But to-night he again is on his round
And his words to me have a sooth'ng sound,
For the years have brought me sorrow.
And have tanght me much 'twas hard to know
And made me reap where I did not sow,
And along strange paths have brought me.
They have shown me, too, in their painful round
That my girl is safe in the silent ground,
And this, too, faith hath taught me,
That I'll see her again in a radiant throng
Unsoiled by sin, unseared by wrong,
Amen! to the watchman's cry to-night
My heart re-echoes ' All's well : all's right.'
Louisa Lawson's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (All's Well by Louisa Lawson )
The Road Not Taken
If You Forget Me
Still I Rise
Edgar Allan Poe
Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening
I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings
A Dream Within A Dream
Edgar Allan Poe
- Dear uncle, Mokhtari Houssam eddine
- Spirit of the Hearth, Lynn Anne Brown
- DANDELION, Lilly Emery
- The Moon In Her Eyes, Lilly Emery
- sometimes its difficoult to live in myself, cristobal Benjumea
- Beautiful Mistake, Noorjehan Khan
- A house divided, Doyen Lingua
- Just Be There, Ronell Warren Alman
- A COFFEE KETTLE FOR A CUP OF COFFEE غلاي.., MOHAMMAD SKATI
- Listen And Learn, Lilly Emery