The Silent Sword
All He Can Do
Lying together on the cool grass-
Her head resting on his chest,
His arm around her, his hand in hers-
She looks up at the starlight.
In the past, they have told her many things.
From alleviating her pain,
To granting her eternal joy,
To promising her their soul...
...and it never worked out with any of them.
But with him,
It was different.
And she wondered why.
'What would you do for me? ' she asked.
He spoke softly, 'I would do the only thing I can.'
She hesitated. 'And what's that? '
He sat up, and she faced him.
Looking her in the eyes, he said,
'You, I would unconditionally
As long as I live.'
The Silent Sword's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Gentlemen. Do the only thing you can for her.
Ladies. Don't ask for anything more.
Comments about this poem (All He Can Do by The Silent Sword )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(September 25, 1930 – May 10, 1999)
- The Giving Tree, Shel Silverstein
- Universally Respected, James Brunton Stephens
- Respect, David Harris
- A Christmas Carol, William Topaz McGonagall
- Went up a year this evening!, Emily Dickinson
- Myself, Edgar Albert Guest
- Heavenly Father, Emily Dickinson
- Sonnet: Respect, Dr John Celes
- Respectability, Robert Browning
- Where Is The Respect, Ronell Warren Alman
Poem of the Day
- Heal Us, Sandra Feldman
- Let's Be Positively Civilized, Sandra Feldman
- Communist Goons, Bijay Kant Dubey
- Trinmul Congress Party's Gift Is The Fre.., Bijay Kant Dubey
- Dark Chapter, Abdullah alHemaidy
- The Sun Sings in You, Patti Masterman
- Desolate Fox, Prasad Natarajan
- Real Poverty, Abdullah alHemaidy
- A Dream In My Soul, Spiritwind Wood
- Peace, Leonard Champlin