Alexander By Thebes
I think, the king was fierce, though young,
When he proclaimed, 'You’ll level Thebes with ground.'
And the old chief perceived this city proud,
He’d seen in times that are in sagas sung.
Set all to fire! The king listed else
The towers, the gates, the temples – rich and thriving…
But sank in thoughts, and said with lighted face,
'You just provide the Bard Home’s surviving.'
Anna Akhmatova's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Alexander By Thebes by Anna Akhmatova )
The Road Not Taken
If You Forget Me
Still I Rise
Edgar Allan Poe
I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings
Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening
William Ernest Henley
- rain night, Omobude Saint perry
- I Will Miss You (Secret Message Poem), Ronald Chapman
- HEAVEN - IS WHAT I CANNOT REACH! الجنة ه.., MOHAMMAD SKATI
- I Need An Excitement Pill, Ronald Chapman
- chicken curry, lee fones
- I Miss You, Ronald Chapman
- far gone, Omobude Saint perry
- venture blood, Omobude Saint perry
- I Met My One, Ronald Chapman
- to my trouble heart, Omobude Saint perry