Age - a number to cumber
When you are 65 years old
You may have achieved your life goal
Stack up enough cash or pots of gold
Twilight of your life is set in mold
Do you stop here; or do you toil on?
To gather more dust from morn to dawn?
Have you met your target, the line is drawn?
With grandkids you play, in your large lawn?
The irony when you work for Government
At 65, you are ‘forced' into retirement
Your body is still strong, your mind is still sound
Those characteristics are no longer count
Age is only a silly number
When the time comes, you have to cumber
You were able yesterday but today you lumber
They throw you a party, but the mood is somber
I can't imagine what you are going thru'
From now on, no deadlines to brew
If it was me, I would be so blue
It must be strange to be in your shoe
Happy birthday, happy retirement, my friend!
This poem is a reflection after attending a birthday-cum-retirement party of a colleague professor
Noor Othman's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Age - a number to cumber by Noor Othman )
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(13 September 1916 – 23 November 1990)
(22 August 1893 - 7 June 1967)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- As I Grew Older, Langston Hughes
- I Dream A World, Langston Hughes
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Mother to Son, Langston Hughes
- I, Too, Langston Hughes
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Tonight I can write the saddest lines, Pablo Neruda
- Suicide's Note, Langston Hughes
Poem of the Day
- Osho, Bijay Kant Dubey
- Many Third-Classers, Bijay Kant Dubey
- As A Man, I Hate The Fanatic The Most, Bijay Kant Dubey
- Bapu, In Your Memory, Bijay Kant Dubey
- The Mirth of William, James Merchant
- -Untitled- (2), Morgan Siegel
- The Short Ballad of Egg Boy, James Merchant
- Logic in Life, Jayatissa Liyanage
- - Lady Andrea on the meadowland, Giorgio A. V.
- Lady Andrea on the meadowland, Giorgio A. V.