The dead are calling. They sit on their headstones
Like grotesque, heckling gargoyles.
They yell at me, I have no time,
I am alone in this, no one can help me
As wolves unfold among the sheep,
White as a bridal gown.
I seal them in under black, thick tar,
In a shoebox, do not let them sniff me out,
Chase me down before I run out,
Time cannot protect me, it is not my friend,
But I know I will win in the end,
And I will go when I will go, before time defeats me.
Too much left to do, to write,
The things that keep me here, I know they wait
For my decision, my choice.
They try to distract me with thick fog and hope I go missing,
But what they are missing is what I can do best,
Navigate in darkness and invisible places.
I know they have a place prepared for me,
They like to think of me as family,
A place where everything is red and black,
They think it scares me more than where I am
Already now, it makes me laugh,
And all I think is 'not just yet'.
Jan Hauck's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Against Time by Jan Hauck )
- Poet as a life(SLIM JAY), Prince Lartey
- Know the meaning of life, gajanan mishra
- Oracle, Naveed Khalid
- Stand high, hasmukh amathalal
- Amidst the stones, Roann Mendriq
- Rainbow Of Life, david kush
- CRYSTAL WATER, Prince Lartey
- Beholden, Eleonor Santiago
- Faith and hope, gajanan mishra
- You're, Angela Wybrow
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- At Last She Comes, Robert Louis Stevenson
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- All the World's a Stage, William Shakespeare
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
- Heather Burns
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(13 September 1916 – 23 November 1990)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
Robert Louis Stevenson
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)