! ! ! Against the Wind
When two people so choose
To join as one
The primary requirement is
Decide to love the beloved.
Then, as happens in love
Two become one in all things
Exclusive, self giving
And in so doing
The love grows in togetherness
Open to children, raising them
A reward of their uniting.
But what now if the love fails?
Turns one sided and falters?
And the critical departure is decided?
To look for someone else?
And if it happens that the search ends
Upon someone willing and able.
To meet the need of the orher.
And join in erotic bliss?
The happiness newly found thrills
Brings warmth and excitement
Sends the heart a racing
Mind awhirl, body aquiver.
Deeper, wider, bolder, reckless
Necessity drives further coupling.
Drawn by the need for happiness.
Affirmation, complimentarity, libidinous.
But this new joining is filled with tension
Since the love struggles to grow.
And growing is strained.
For living together is amiss.
So the need to be closer
To grow together and love deeper
And go on up to the next level.
Of uniting even with childbirth.
The missing component is the limit
Of a love so good, so true
Bound to the beloved
Struggling to grow with the other.
A critical juncture is met
To continue with the limited but true
Or let go and return to the old
Loveless, drab, lonesome.
However, to let go is to die
And is not the way to go
It is far better to live with the limits
Than to die in the unlimited prison
Of knowing one could have loved deeply
But did not.
Inner Whispers's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (! ! ! Against the Wind by Inner Whispers )
- The midnight scream, Harold R Hunt Sr
- It calls your name., Harold R Hunt Sr
- Dogs, Cinzia Wills
- Interminable Wanderer, Cinzia Wills
- The Sky, Harold R Hunt Sr
- That part of your heart, Rolfy Dsilva
- The letter puzzle., Harold R Hunt Sr
- I am Sorry, Md. Ziaul Haque
- If it wasn't for country music, Harold R Hunt Sr
- I Really Can't…, Md. Ziaul Haque
Poem of the Day
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Sonnet I, Sir John Suckling
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- One Art, Elizabeth Bishop
- No Man Is An Island, John Donne
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Heather Burns
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
Edgar Albert Guest
(20 August 1881 - 5 August 1959)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(13 September 1916 – 23 November 1990)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)