! ! ! Against the Wind
When two people so choose
To join as one
The primary requirement is
Decide to love the beloved.
Then, as happens in love
Two become one in all things
Exclusive, self giving
And in so doing
The love grows in togetherness
Open to children, raising them
A reward of their uniting.
But what now if the love fails?
Turns one sided and falters?
And the critical departure is decided?
To look for someone else?
And if it happens that the search ends
Upon someone willing and able.
To meet the need of the orher.
And join in erotic bliss?
The happiness newly found thrills
Brings warmth and excitement
Sends the heart a racing
Mind awhirl, body aquiver.
Deeper, wider, bolder, reckless
Necessity drives further coupling.
Drawn by the need for happiness.
Affirmation, complimentarity, libidinous.
But this new joining is filled with tension
Since the love struggles to grow.
And growing is strained.
For living together is amiss.
So the need to be closer
To grow together and love deeper
And go on up to the next level.
Of uniting even with childbirth.
The missing component is the limit
Of a love so good, so true
Bound to the beloved
Struggling to grow with the other.
A critical juncture is met
To continue with the limited but true
Or let go and return to the old
Loveless, drab, lonesome.
However, to let go is to die
And is not the way to go
It is far better to live with the limits
Than to die in the unlimited prison
Of knowing one could have loved deeply
But did not.
Inner Whispers's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (! ! ! Against the Wind by Inner Whispers )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
Mewlana Jalaluddin Rumi
(1207 - 1273)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
- A Homage To The Freedom Fighters Of India, Raja Basu
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- A Poison Tree, William Blake
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- Gun, Rage'n Curtis
- All the World's a Stage, William Shakespeare
- Tonight I can write the saddest lines, Pablo Neruda
- The Choice, Edith Nesbit
Poem of the Day
- My First Poem, Emelita C. Smith
- diMinNuTiVe, sEaN nOrTh
- I Am A Boat, Paul Gerard Reed
- Peace#01, DEEPAK KUMAR PATTANAYAK
- hav em kill - BIG Chief di$bEliEf, sEaN nOrTh
- We Ate Beans., Tony Adah
- Letting Go, favour ugwumba
- Paw, saw, raw, law!, Edward Kofi Louis
- नोँखौ मोजां मोन्नायल' नङा, Ronjoy Brahma
- - Μαέστρος, Giorgio A. V.