! ! ! Against the Wind
When two people so choose
To join as one
The primary requirement is
Decide to love the beloved.
Then, as happens in love
Two become one in all things
Exclusive, self giving
And in so doing
The love grows in togetherness
Open to children, raising them
A reward of their uniting.
But what now if the love fails?
Turns one sided and falters?
And the critical departure is decided?
To look for someone else?
And if it happens that the search ends
Upon someone willing and able.
To meet the need of the orher.
And join in erotic bliss?
The happiness newly found thrills
Brings warmth and excitement
Sends the heart a racing
Mind awhirl, body aquiver.
Deeper, wider, bolder, reckless
Necessity drives further coupling.
Drawn by the need for happiness.
Affirmation, complimentarity, libidinous.
But this new joining is filled with tension
Since the love struggles to grow.
And growing is strained.
For living together is amiss.
So the need to be closer
To grow together and love deeper
And go on up to the next level.
Of uniting even with childbirth.
The missing component is the limit
Of a love so good, so true
Bound to the beloved
Struggling to grow with the other.
A critical juncture is met
To continue with the limited but true
Or let go and return to the old
Loveless, drab, lonesome.
However, to let go is to die
And is not the way to go
It is far better to live with the limits
Than to die in the unlimited prison
Of knowing one could have loved deeply
But did not.
Inner Whispers's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (! ! ! Against the Wind by Inner Whispers )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(31 October 1795 – 23 February 1821)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(24 January 1572 - 31 March 1631)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
- Christmas Trees, Robert Frost
- A Visit from St. Nicholas, Clement Clarke Moore
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Talking Turkeys!, Benjamin Zephaniah
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- No Man Is An Island, John Donne
- The Three Kings, Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
Poem of the Day
- Sonnet 504, Luis Estable
- Tale of Nail - Lincoln Park Zoo, Ima Ryma
- Sonnet 502, Luis Estable
- make MANDELA's feat never fail 'ME', sEaN nOrTh
- God given treasure, Arcely Talicuad
- Christmas Eve, Tony md chamasense
- Peshawar, Sari Mavi
- Untouched Flower, Edward Kofi Louis
- Let's Share, Peter S. Quinn
- Into Darkness, Suparnna Anilkumar