! ! ! Against the Wind
When two people so choose
To join as one
The primary requirement is
Decide to love the beloved.
Then, as happens in love
Two become one in all things
Exclusive, self giving
And in so doing
The love grows in togetherness
Open to children, raising them
A reward of their uniting.
But what now if the love fails?
Turns one sided and falters?
And the critical departure is decided?
To look for someone else?
And if it happens that the search ends
Upon someone willing and able.
To meet the need of the orher.
And join in erotic bliss?
The happiness newly found thrills
Brings warmth and excitement
Sends the heart a racing
Mind awhirl, body aquiver.
Deeper, wider, bolder, reckless
Necessity drives further coupling.
Drawn by the need for happiness.
Affirmation, complimentarity, libidinous.
But this new joining is filled with tension
Since the love struggles to grow.
And growing is strained.
For living together is amiss.
So the need to be closer
To grow together and love deeper
And go on up to the next level.
Of uniting even with childbirth.
The missing component is the limit
Of a love so good, so true
Bound to the beloved
Struggling to grow with the other.
A critical juncture is met
To continue with the limited but true
Or let go and return to the old
Loveless, drab, lonesome.
However, to let go is to die
And is not the way to go
It is far better to live with the limits
Than to die in the unlimited prison
Of knowing one could have loved deeply
But did not.
Inner Whispers's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (! ! ! Against the Wind by Inner Whispers )
- We, Yohan Confectioner
- Trust None, Even Me!, Sir Toby
- More Deliberately Taken, Lawrence S. Pertillar
- Ah, money!, PARTHA SARATHI PAUL
- We shall overcome someday, Vidura Prabhath
- Jadavpur University Campus And The Lefti.., Bijay Kant Dubey
- Excellence, Col Muhamad Khalid Khan
- Chains, Col Muhamad Khalid Khan
- New Dawn, Nalini Jyotsana Chaturvedi
- The Stolen Ancient Landmark, Sir Toby
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- A Dream Within A Dream, Edgar Allan Poe
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
- Heather Burns
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)