! ! ! Against the Wind
When two people so choose
To join as one
The primary requirement is
Decide to love the beloved.
Then, as happens in love
Two become one in all things
Exclusive, self giving
And in so doing
The love grows in togetherness
Open to children, raising them
A reward of their uniting.
But what now if the love fails?
Turns one sided and falters?
And the critical departure is decided?
To look for someone else?
And if it happens that the search ends
Upon someone willing and able.
To meet the need of the orher.
And join in erotic bliss?
The happiness newly found thrills
Brings warmth and excitement
Sends the heart a racing
Mind awhirl, body aquiver.
Deeper, wider, bolder, reckless
Necessity drives further coupling.
Drawn by the need for happiness.
Affirmation, complimentarity, libidinous.
But this new joining is filled with tension
Since the love struggles to grow.
And growing is strained.
For living together is amiss.
So the need to be closer
To grow together and love deeper
And go on up to the next level.
Of uniting even with childbirth.
The missing component is the limit
Of a love so good, so true
Bound to the beloved
Struggling to grow with the other.
A critical juncture is met
To continue with the limited but true
Or let go and return to the old
Loveless, drab, lonesome.
However, to let go is to die
And is not the way to go
It is far better to live with the limits
Than to die in the unlimited prison
Of knowing one could have loved deeply
But did not.
Inner Whispers's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (! ! ! Against the Wind by Inner Whispers )
- An Ode to a Salmon, Athena Hood
- नागिरो, Ronjoy Brahma
- The Inner Solitude, Neela Nath
- I Don't Know, Akhtar Jawad
- My Sentimental Diversity, Mark Nixon Legaspi
- Poetry, Mark Nixon Legaspi
- Emerge.., veeraiyah subbulakshmi
- Mirror, Mark Nixon Legaspi
- Chasing True Dream, Mark Nixon Legaspi
- One For One, Gbolagade Taiwo
Poem of the Day
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- My Love Is Like To Ice, Edmund Spenser
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Being With You, Heather Burns
- All the World's a Stage, William Shakespeare
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Fern Hill, Dylan Thomas
- If, Rudyard Kipling
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)
(7 May 1861 – 7 August 1941)
(31 October 1795 – 23 February 1821)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)