After Release From Prison
Where are you?
awake or sleeping-
to being in your own home.
This is just one more of the stupefactions
of spending thirteen years in a prison.
Who's lying at your side?
Not loneliness, but your wife,
in the peaceful sleep of an angel.
Pregnancy looks good on a woman.
What time is it?
That means you're safe until evening.
Because it's the practice of police
Never to raid homes in broad daylight.
Nazim Hikmet's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (After Release From Prison by Nazim Hikmet )
- The Beast, Shannon Paterson
- Mode Of Poetry, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Gathering Compensation, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- 2 of A Kind, Josep Rodriguez
- पाऊस ओथंबुन वाहत असताना..., Amit Anjarlekar
- sometimes we all, Ben Paynter
- Difficult to return, gajanan mishra
- Life Is, Andy Caldwell
- Amn't Gone!, Sir Toby
- There Is Nothing In Me, Shalom Freedman
Poem of the Day
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(7 May 1861 – 7 August 1941)
- Heather Burns
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)